Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nopunterino OP t1_j9ax1vx wrote

It’s cool that it’s chunky but it does not click in place and it’s fiddly to get it upright

kerouak t1_j9b5cdj wrote

Huh your XLRs don't click in place? Mine do, theyve even got a release button on them...

LyKosa91 t1_j9bb0vf wrote

that's the female end, the male end that's used for headphone outputs friction fits. a lot of amps don't even have releases on the rear inputs either.

kerouak t1_j9bedaa wrote

Not sure what you mean. I use XLR cables to connect my monitors to my pre amp and they click in at both ends.

LyKosa91 t1_j9bf6s2 wrote

So the female end has a release button on the connector, the male end doesn't. The specific amp etc might have a locking catch but that depends. The vast majority of headphone outputs have no lock, my KRK monitors have no lock, the rear inputs on my old A30 pro had no lock, but the inputs on my singxer SA1 do.

kerouak t1_j9bg3e2 wrote

I see. Fair enough - I've literally only been using XLR for a couple weeks so just assumed what I had was the norm.

boredinballard t1_j9c05ha wrote

It's the norm on high quality connections typically. The cheap knock offs usually don't have them. Neutrik connectors usually have them, but they do have models without locking tabs.

AntOk463 t1_j9bos2w wrote

You're talking about mini XLR, not full size.

fuzeebear t1_j9ci14q wrote

Both sizes of XLR are latched, though the latch itself is on the female connector. Which is why you associate it with mini-XLR, since female mini are used in headphones quite often

nopunterino OP t1_j9b77sl wrote

oh yeah wait, depends, the one i used did't, soz

blorg t1_j9diblq wrote

He's talking about the 4-pin headphone output on the front. I think it depends on the type of the connector, to click satisfyingly it needs the notch on the top and not all do.

I have some connectors that sort of click satisfyingly but I also have at least one adapter (on the right) that is extremely unsatisfying, it just sort of goes in and there's no clear point at which it's fully in. The black one is OK and it is clear when it's finished pushing in but it doesn't "click". Only the middle one clicks.

I don't think I've ever seen 4-pin XLR headphone outputs with a physical release button. That's for the interconnects at the back.