Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GarugaHunter t1_j9ty5sh wrote

I would really never ever use the Edition XS without EQ. It sounds very weak and shrill.

BUT, with EQ they are my preference over the HD6 series and its cousins. The XS will never have the timbre of the HD6 series, but for the music I listen to (mostly metal) the Edition XS are an obvious winner, but that's just me.

rlinED t1_j9u2c1h wrote

Interesting. I pretty much never use my XS with EQ. Don't find them to be shrill or weak at all. Do you just tweak manually or use some EQ profile?

GarugaHunter t1_j9u35xu wrote

It entirely depends on the kind of music you listen to. Jazz sounds fine without any EQ.

The Edition XS lacks bass for me and it doesn't have the midrange prettiness of the HD6 series to make up for it. Again, I listen to mostly metal so the XS is near unusable to my ears that way, obviously not everyone feels that way.

The Headphone Show has a tutorial on how to EQ (in general) and in that video they give the Edition XS as an example, with an example tuning. I've modified it a little bit, smoothing out the midrange peak and reducing the bass shelf.

rlinED t1_ja4zwqq wrote

I've had a look at the video and tried out the eq setting he did. My impression is still that the XS sounds pretty damn fine without eq. It's of course worth a try though. Btw I also listen to metal a lot and also sometimes even use the XS for practicing guitar, to me it's fine.

GarugaHunter t1_ja51ihj wrote

What kind of metal, bands genres etc.

rlinED t1_ja550aw wrote

Stuff like Caladan Brood, Dissection, Opeth, Vintersorg, Hamferð, Watain, some Stoner, Kyuss and such...

GarugaHunter t1_ja563id wrote

Based, and double checked. Blues for the Red Sun for example sounds perfectly fine without the EQ, maybe a bit piercing if anything.

Watain’s debut doesn’t gain too much from the EQ either.

Pestilence’s Consuming Impulse I feel does benefit from the EQ, it becomes a lot meatier (IMO as it should).

Ahab’s The Call of the Wretched Seas also benefits more as it’s a more atmospheric album and uses that bass headroom quite well. Without the boost in the low end, it sounds a bit weak.

Again it all depends 😳 I also have a EQ profile where all the changes are 50% of what they originally are. So it’s kind of between that EQ profile and without EQ.

I find XS to be great with stuff like rap/lofi or other types of music with bass focus, but without eq it's horrible for electric guitars in my opinion.

slooploop2 OP t1_j9u6dx3 wrote

Makes sense! The strengths of the XS do align more with a metal-focused library than my more vocal-centric library.

GarugaHunter t1_j9u6lcj wrote

Yup, you bet I'd rather listen to Steely Dan on my 660S.

pkelly500 t1_j9ui3uu wrote

BINGO. The Edition XS has nice clarity, detail and soundstage. But the note weight is so thin compared to listening to an Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-X 2021 or any Dan Clark Audio planar under $1,000.

GarugaHunter t1_j9uidfs wrote

Again, I’ve totally fixed that with EQ, planars take it quite well.

I wouldn’t say it lacks substance, just needs more oomph from the bass range.

I’ll also add, the headphones benefited a lot from a good DAC and Amplifier

pkelly500 t1_j9vt828 wrote

Well aware. I own Audeze planars, which have far better bass both stock and with EQ than HiFiMan.

GarugaHunter t1_j9vwu05 wrote

I don’t doubt that, but the XS and those planars are at completely different price points.

pkelly500 t1_j9wefw6 wrote

Not really. Dan Clark Aeon Open X are $429 at Drop. Audeze LCD-X can be purchased new on Black Friday for $450 and used for $450-500 year-round.

−1

facts_guy2020 t1_j9xbq6s wrote

Dan clark open headphones sound closed

pkelly500 t1_j9zb3qz wrote

If you want soundstage and clarity, go for the Edition XS. If you want sub-bass and note weight, go for the Dan Clarks.

facts_guy2020 t1_ja1baee wrote

I already have edition xs and find them boring to listen to

pkelly500 t1_ja5pe2d wrote

Yep. The Edition XS is more clinical than enjoyable. Still a super headphone for $500 if you seek clarity and soundstage more than energy.

JoJoStraycat t1_j9w4rvn wrote

May I have your EQ profile for Metal.

I also have the Edition XS and I also use them for metal, but I never EQ'd them.

GarugaHunter t1_j9w52ny wrote

Check out the Headphone Show youtube video on EQ’ing headphones. That’s essentially what I’m using.

JoJoStraycat t1_j9w7zjd wrote

>heck out the Headphone Show youtube video on EQ’ing headphones. That’s essentially what I’m using

Thank you!