Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

phalanx2357 t1_j9k8qq3 wrote

Assume you didn't see my initial post from your original thread. Here's a copy about driving.

For driving the Diana TC: On the more analytical end, I would recommend the Topping A90 or A90 discrete. If you prefer warmer, I would recommend the Burson Soloist 3x. Of course you can go up to Ferrum Oor or other more expensive amps if that's what you want as well. The Diana TC has amazing clarity and highs that beautifully reproduce the sounds of string instruments or sibilance in female vocals. Some people may find these annoying - the Burson, being warmer, definitely damps those down a bit, and adds to even a stronger bass. However be warned, since the Diana TC has very strong bass to begin with, adding even greater percussive pressure could be a negative - it's really all a matter of personal taste.

Some commentary on head fi generally would recommend fairly high powered amps for low sensitivity planars due to transient spikes in dbs - for example one percussive strike could be many dbs above the average background volume of the music piece, and to hear that accurately reproduced, you would need MUCH greater power (since 2x power is needed for just a 3db increase). All the above recommendations generated several watts of power so there's no issue in power delivery.