Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gobbelcoque t1_ja3m0f1 wrote

How portable do you need ( toss in a backpack, folding, can they just be okay in a case?) How much can you afford? Closed or open back? Are IEM's okay?

synkro27 OP t1_jaerbs7 wrote

I am just a Koss sound fan, I know their limitations because I have listened to better quality headphones like AKG 712 or Hifimans but I love the price-quality factor. I just want to have them all : ) I prefer open headphones for the comfort and natural feeling sound. For takeaway headphones the visual factor is also important for me so say nono to KTXPRO 1 (which honestly are one of the better sounding koss 60ohms imo) but KPH40 style seems okay. I already have wireless IEMs (Edifier TWS1 pro). Im gonna check Grado's in the future for sure

Gobbelcoque t1_jaevng4 wrote

Unfortunately loss just doesn't have a "sound". They are super hit or miss, with their ports pro/30/40 line being generally the only reliable hitters for the money, and they just balance being pretty bassy with decent technicals and a stellar price.

Oh, something that popped into my head if you want open back and great sound and portability. The NiceHCK EB2s. $25 on AliExpress. They're earbuds and not in-ears, but with the nice soft foams they stay put nicely in my ears, give you that open air spacious feel, good sound, good imaging, they only lack in sub-bass, but I find myself wearing them basically every day.

Grado sound is very, very different. They all go for a very detailed, bright, energetic signature with pretty lacking sub-bass that people hate or adore with basically no in-between. I personally adore it.

If you're into price performance, wired IEM's are where the buck lies. $60 for some KZ PR1's, or $80 for some truthear hexas or $80 for some 7hz diokos will knock your socks off, even more than the edifiers.

If you want some budget buds that really hit the vibe of the 30/40 with even better technicals, the truthear hola's are great for $18.

Depending on your budget and amplifier setup, the hifiman he-x4 are truly ludicrous for $100 if you have an amp that can power them (a BTR5 or BTR7 if you need portable

But portability and over ear cans just is a pain in the arse, imo. Nobody really does it "right". Possible exception are the Sony mdr7506, but they require better pads and a detachable cable mod.

I personally would recommend some grado sr60's. But be aware that they are very polarizing. I can't get enough of them, so much so that I built some custom gs3000e's, but my old sr125e's get daily use too.