Submitted by throwfoolishra t3_127kmog in headphones

I got a new pair of headphones, so I intend to sell the old ones. I've used them for 2 years, but they're in very good conditions, and I still have the original box with all its papers and jack adapter. Since they're quite sought after I figured I could get back a few bucks.

I even considered buying a new headband and new earpads, but they're quite expensive and I'd end up losing money in the end. So, I decided to clean them up. I watched a few tutorials on how to wash these earpads. They're clean, only white soap and clear water comes out of them. Yet, I just can't seem to get rid of the yellow sweat stains. I used a fabric stain remover as well, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Now: the newer they look, the higher the price I can pull. If the earpads look like that, then I can't really sell them for the highest price possible.

What would you advise me to do? Should I try different products, or maybe... giving it a little paint would do the trick? I considered the possibility, but I don't want to mess it up, and I don't know what the correct product would be. So I'll wait your advice.

Thanks!

>!If you're curious, I got the Audio Technica M50xBT2. They're practical, versatile. I can use them inside, outside. If the cable is an annoyance, I can just use the bluetooth function.!<

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Simeras t1_jeei478 wrote

The more you wash it, the more the foam and velour will deteriorate. So it might be nice outside, but pads will be trashed. So that is kind of fooling the buyer, which is not cool.

Beyer specifically states not to use detergents of any kind.

throwfoolishra OP t1_jeeizwm wrote

I didn't know about that. I searched "clean up DT770 earpads" and I found a few results, but nothing about not washing the earpads.

Of course I don't want to fool anyone. Seeing those yellow stains will definitely put people off. They're clean now, but they don't look like it. And I don't want to hide their condition. (meaning: lying about them being mint condition, almost new or anything like that)

Well... I hope I didn't ruin them. I washed them very quickly and I avoided leaving them in water for too long. I'll see when they're dry.

dstarr3 t1_jeetzgi wrote

I usually put new pads on headphones I'm trying to sell as a courtesy anyway. So yeah, I'd just get new pads. They're cheap and prospective buyers will appreciate it

throwfoolishra OP t1_jeevcp8 wrote

Yeah, I just found a substitution kit on Amazon. €15. The reviews were stellar, so I just got those.

PolarBearSequence t1_jeezq2i wrote

I’d just sell them without pads. When I buy used headphones, I swap the pads anyways (except if the seller specifies that they’re new or almost new), so I’d not be bothered by buying headphones without pads.