Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ultra_prescriptivist t1_jdakr2c wrote

Ah, thanks for that! That more or less confirms my suspicions.

It's very interesting to see how poorly aptX performs in blind tests, especially against SBC.

ve_ t1_jddqhau wrote

Cable reviews can be useful... Until they start talking about the sound. Quality of construction and haptics of materals.. flexibility.. weight.. all small things that matter. To some people the colour matters.. i like those mint green china cables a lot. XD

AudiophileHeaven OP t1_jda47ei wrote

Yes, I also review cables. And as for Mp3, if you feel it is the same and if your ears tlel you that they sound the same, better for you, you can save some money.

[deleted] t1_jdah431 wrote

[deleted]

WikiSummarizerBot t1_jdah5uy wrote

Transparency (data compression)

>In data compression and psychoacoustics, transparency is the result of lossy data compression accurate enough that the compressed result is perceptually indistinguishable from the uncompressed input, i. e. perceptually lossless. A transparency threshold is a given value at which transparency is reached.

Codec listening test

>A codec listening test is a scientific study designed to compare two or more lossy audio codecs, usually with respect to perceived fidelity or compression efficiency. Most tests take the form of a double-blind comparison. Commonly used methods are known as "ABX" or "ABC/HR" or "MUSHRA". There are various software packages available for individuals to perform this type of testing themselves with minimal assistance.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

AudiophileHeaven OP t1_jdawox8 wrote

Well, if you feel this way, you can enjoy MP3s the way you want, same for AAC or SBC codecs. At this point this argument is useless, most of the world is slowly adopting streaming, so a flac vs Mp3 is a useless discussion for any practical outcome.

As for Bluetooth, buy an android phone with multiple codecs, a headphone that supports a many of them and test, then you will know if there are differences.

−2

[deleted] t1_jdc3dsg wrote

[deleted]

AudiophileHeaven OP t1_jdctmnk wrote

If you are refuting something your own experience didn't hold true, you're literally diregarding yourself and what you heard yourself. If you, as an average user will hear the difference, then why would you assume other average users wouldn't.

I test things with a sample of around 35 people before making a "most people" argument, and the rate of success of a test must be over 70% , and usually 80%. For Mp3 vs flac, the rate with which they could tell the differences and which was superior was 75% with metal, 50% with classical (no bias, they couldn't really do it), and around 65% with pop, the Mp3 compresion algorithm clearly has a bias towards making changes that are not audible with classical but can show in highly dynamically compressed music such as rock or pop. The test we did was with Mp3 320CBR vs flac, and it was done using both speakers and headphones, both of which setups were midrange to get what a true average user would be like. The people were mostly young listeners, under 35.

Ogg at lvl q-10 is truly audibly transparent, no user including me can't tell OGG Q10 vs lossless apart, regardless of the music style.

I am not saying there is no lossy audibly transparent codec, but I know from experiment that Mp3 especially at 256 vbr is not audibly transparent if straining music is used, like dynamically compressed metal music. I think that if I mainly listened to jazz or classical, I probably could not tell them apart well, mp3 256 vs flac, even in my tests most users can't. But with rock and metal, they can, there's a strong bias towards those musisc styles in my articles too, since that's what composes most of my test playlist.

For the sake of experiments, try to experiment before leaning too much on other's statements.

−1