Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RB181 t1_je43guk wrote

I agree that the difference between lossy and lossless does not exist/matter to most people.

I disagree with your pretentious pointing at a person and claiming that the person in question is full of BS because they don't agree with everything you said.

ultra_prescriptivist t1_je46l7p wrote

>I disagree with your pretentious pointing at a person and claiming that the person in question is full of BS because they don't agree with everything you said.

Huh?

They never agreed/or disagreed with anything I said to begin with, plus I ever accused them of talking BS.

Many people don't realize just how powerful perecption bias is until they try a blind test for themselves. That was just my way of responding to OP but also including CertainlySomeGuy so I didn't have to write two comments instead of one.

RB181 t1_je47hbj wrote

Maybe it wasn't intended that way, but I thought your comment was just rude. If CertainlySomeGuy says they can hear the difference between lossy and lossless, who are we to argue? Anyone who has spent some time in this sub knows about the deal with blind testing and the placebo effect, and you don't have to remind them every goddamned time.

−1

ultra_prescriptivist t1_je47wvn wrote

Well, he seemed confused as to why people were recommending Spotify, despite the common perception that it's not "Hi-fi". Perhaps I came off as a little brusque, but my intention was just to indirectly let him know why.

RB181 t1_je48o6g wrote

Fair enough, and for the record I disagree with the Spotify recommendation, even without regard to audio quality. As a fan of a number of lesser-known musical artists, I consider Spotify's low payout to artists as a major reason to avoid it (at least Tidal and Apple Music pay better according to this account from last year). And while Spotify used to have other advantages over the competition (catalog size, interface, cross-platform compatibility, price), the competition has very much caught up to those by this point.

KilgoretheTrout55 t1_je7rwgf wrote

I did not get that level of hostility in his post. Are you responding to the right person?