Submitted by johnydazzles27s t3_yhxuzy in headphones

Yes this is going to seem like a very noob mistake, like how did I not notice? And tbh, I just never really even thought about it because I thought they still sounded fine.

I found out that IEMs with larger nozzles like the Dusk or Truthear Zero don't actually fit in my left ear. My right ear is fine, but my left ear canal is smaller; which I knew about, but I've gotten away with using medium size tips in both ears for most other iems.

I've tried using small eartips in the left but it doesn't help. I am sad now.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SupOrSalad t1_iug8udr wrote

Yeah I found both those IEMs don't fit my ears no patter which stock tips I use. I use spinfit CP155 tips with them and the fit is perfect now

johnydazzles27s OP t1_iug90js wrote

What is it about those tips that make the fit better?

SupOrSalad t1_iug9fk9 wrote

First of all the part that goes around the actual nozle itself is thin, which gives more room for the tips to flex. Then the tips themselves are quite thin silicone and shaped more like a cone rather than the thicker rounded tips that the mpondrop and Zero have. It makes them form a lot better to small ears. Spinfit tips also have a swivel design that allows the tips to bend and fit your ear shape better

johnydazzles27s OP t1_iugbpuw wrote

Ah, I see. Yea I have spinfits which I like but not ones that will fit on the big nozzles. I'll try the ones you mentioned and see if they work. Thanks for the tip! (no pun intended)

Squisher123 t1_iugw3kb wrote

I use the cp155 and the tips fit on the zero easily. Best choice imo, but the medium size is surprisingly small compared to other medium tips I've used. My left ear canal is on the larger end, while my right ear is more medium sized, but the medium tips were way too small for both my ears. I got the large size and they fit pretty much perfectly, slightly worse fit for my right ear. Medium tip size was said to be too small on Amazon reviews often.

ArkhamKnight0708 t1_iui3h4n wrote

I use them on my Truthears. While I still experience discomfort, I can actually wear them for more than 30 minutes. Don't get your hopes up too high but I'm sure they'll be an improvement no matter what

blorg t1_iuh2nrk wrote

Also consider Azla Xelastec, these actually mould to your ears with your body heat and I think they might be the better choice for your specific situation. I also think they work better with the Dusk, they are short wide-bore tips and don't affect the sound so much. CP155 will boost bass more. CP155 are generally a good fit for that IEM though, I use them on the OG B2 where they also help the bass a bit.

But specifically for your case I suspect Xelastec might be the better choice. They size larger than most tips, you probably want to go down a size. I usually use L in SpinFit but mostly use M or ML in Azla and even have MS on one side on one IEM (Azla Crystal on the Moondrop A8). You'll probably want SS or S, maybe MS at most for your larger ear.

It's normal that stock tips don't work and you have to try a variety of aftermarket tips. It's also normal that one ear is smaller than the other, my left is slightly smaller than my right and while on most IEMs I do use the same size, some I get a better fit with a smaller tip on the left.

Xelastec and SpinFit CP155 on my Blessing 2s, you can see how the Xelastec have really changed shape a lot at this point, and also how much shorter they are compared with the CP155, which allows the IEM to sit further into your ear.

Apart_Flounder702 t1_iugdzss wrote

Same problem, my left ear is always the problem child. But I find that double/triple flange tip helps a lot, not 100% satisfied but better than losing the seal constantly. My B2 and Chu

johnydazzles27s OP t1_iugpjzu wrote

What brand double flange tips are you using for the dusk?

Apart_Flounder702 t1_iugvngm wrote

Its CP240 tip, i use it at home cuz B2 doesn't have a lip that catches the tip, so it falls out rather easily moving a lot. For outdoors, I switch to Springtip(rip from my Chu), which stays in place but is a bit of a shallow fit.

Mhosie t1_iuh986x wrote

I had a similar problem with the stock Sennheiser tips on my IE300. I got some Spinfits and don't have the issue anymore so maybe it is worth trying some different tips, perhaps foam?