Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

customds OP t1_iu4rtqv wrote

I think the distortion is due to how cheap the actual tubes themselves are. I’m going to try some upgraded ones and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah the knobs are a nice added touch. They’re not so much traditional bass/Treble adjustment. More how much you want that part overdriven. It’s not as clean as you’d expect when you go 1/4 increments up

PutPineappleOnPizza t1_iu4x3zf wrote

ah well.. in my experience noise is low after having tubes run for like 48h. Distortion however is the feature desired for tubes (that makes my amp even weirder as the distortion is so low), but it always depends how strong it is.. like it's not like the music sounds all broken in my case, just a little more dynamic (but that's highly debatable)

customds OP t1_iu56rib wrote

Listening to anything with a guitar is enjoyable with distortion, same with certain voices. I enjoy an overall warm profile so this sweetens up some of the colder cans. But I listen to a lot of hip hop which has intentionally distorted bass to start with. Certain tracks become so muddy through the preamp that it sounds like +30 gain on everything lol.

I’ll try burning in the tubes a bit more perhaps. Only been running it maybe 10 hours.

PutPineappleOnPizza t1_iu5k8zd wrote

Good luck, it could help or do absolutely nothing. I have tubes that never hummed to begin with, some that stopped humming and some that never stopped. I also had one tube that was weirdly broken and it distorted so crazy that the music was all messed up. The replacement was fine and showed none of these problems.

Tubes are weird lol.