Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

renerem t1_irxc31x wrote

I thought this was a troll post and you wanted to suggest plugging your headphones into the airpod case to listen to music xD

DatDominican t1_iry3nuy wrote

I have probably a dozen over ear and in ear headphones . I use my AirPods Pro more than all of them combined just due to the convenience and portability ,but when I want a critical/ serious listening session of course I pull out the actual headphones.

Also you guys are hella spoiled with all these decent cheap IEMS now . I remember when I was a teenager $100+ iems could still have had CABLE NOISE when moving so if you were walking listening to stuff you heard it rubbing against your shirt or ,God forbid, your zipper.

my2dumbledores t1_irzz8ym wrote

Have you tried the Gen 2’s?

I used to use my APP’s for convenience. Now I also use them to chill out and listen to music at home.

DetectiveAmes t1_is06u2t wrote

I love the gen 2’s. I used them for a few days but got an allergy from them so I had to stop though. They were so great and the audio quality was definitely improved too. I miss them 😢

DatDominican t1_is1oytg wrote

No not yet , I’m lying to myself that I don’t want them and that I should be fine since I just got some custom iems a month ago and got some Xm5s in the summer when my Beats Studios (gift from gf) cracked .

jajdoo t1_irzeu63 wrote

did you try fiio utws5?

DatDominican t1_is1rbxc wrote

No I haven’t had the chance but I have three similar tws dacs. The noise cancelling and transparency mode in the AirPods Pro is a big reason I use them more but the other is I prefer the fit vs over ear hooks.

If I know I’m going to be home , unbothered, I’ll end up using one of my open back headphones(or my studio monitors ) , and in the rare case I’ll be moving around town I can use my car speakers .If I’m walking around the AirPods Pro case is smaller iirc . I don’t have the utws5 to compare pass through audio so I can’t speak to that but that leaves me in a very narrow use case where I already have my iems , I can’t use the over ear headphones due to movement , and I’m somewhere where I can’t leave and go walk or jam in the car.

I could always just make a concerted effort to use the tws dacs more but as I said earlier the ear hooks become distracting for me to use for any extended length of time which usually makes me reach for some over ear headphones.

Cameri- OP t1_irx52db wrote

Love the AirPods Pro 2 for workouts or when I am at my job, but listening to my favorite songs with the humble Apple Dongle paired with venerable Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk just makes things a lot more enjoyable, with the added benefit of not worrying about charging yet another accessory in my everyday carry. The convenience of Bluetooth is unmatched, but at the end of the day wired > wireless.

HongKong_Bussy_Lmao t1_irxlatk wrote

Technically airpods pro are an iem too

suppaboy228 t1_irxqz7b wrote

They're IE, but not M.

WatchAndEatPopcorn t1_irxrwrf wrote

Define M though... I think IEM for casual listening or even audiophile purposes has coopted the term used to monitor ones live performance... so I would argue that all these aren't really M.

suppaboy228 t1_irxsnfr wrote

Monitoring means being able to hear yourself through the recording/live performance equipment. That's not the case with wireless headphones of any sort as of now.

The first issue is latency, especially on instruments

Then there's quality.

And finally, you can't connect bluetooth headphones to the interface/radio system with no additional gear which can be an issue

−13

Oscillus t1_irxvu0p wrote

I'm sure it's semantics at this point but ...

Airpods Pro in transparency mode most definitely let you hear yourself ;)

I'll let myself out now

suppaboy228 t1_irxwjhv wrote

There's more to that than just hearing your voice.

I'm talking about listening to stuff that's being recorded or performed.

For example, you are tracking vocals and you are too forward and the proximity effect is giving you too much lower frequencies. You won't hear that with transparency mode.

Or you are tracking the guitar and need it to have an instant response (up to 10 ms latency is fine). You won't be able to play to the click if the latency is too big.

Hope you get my point.

WatchAndEatPopcorn t1_irxujjr wrote

I agree, but I do feel like the term has already been repurposed. How many people on this subreddit are using an IEM for monitoring performances vs listening to music?
In practical modern internet usage, the earbuds that insert into the canal are IEMs, so the AirPods Pro 2.0 is just as much an "IEM" as the Moondrop Chu. Even if the later has more potential utility as an actual IEM.

For the record, I hate that and feel like "IEM" shouldn't be used in this context. But if we're already abusing it, and that ship has already sailed, I don't see much issue applying it to bluetooth sets.

suppaboy228 t1_irxuvhr wrote

For me, the last border is them being wired.

If the earbuds are wired and are of higher quality, they can be called iem in my book.

As long as they're wireless, they're tws buds.

−10

rodaphilia t1_iryru4k wrote

But stage monitors would just connect to a wireless pack, anyway.

suppaboy228 t1_irzw2lx wrote

Wireless pack isn't bluetooth. It's radio.

Attaching a bluetooth transmitter to a radio receiver doesn't seem practical for me considering the latency and quality issues

AshravenPB t1_iry629a wrote

Bluetooth headphones could be used as monitors based on that definition of monitoring. Sure they’d do the job poorly but they could still fill that role meaning the could still be considered monitors

suppaboy228 t1_iry787l wrote

This is the wrong tool for the wrong job.

As my grandpa said, you can hit the nail with a microscope. But if you can, it doesn't mean you should.

icantfindfree t1_irzxb4d wrote

I'm a drummer and I used my galaxy buds pro as monitors for the backing track literally every other day.

suppaboy228 t1_irzxzp8 wrote

This is not monitoring.

It would be monitoring if you were to play electronic drums through those earbuds.

Monitoring is being able to hear what the recording equipment is "hearing".

Dougmw1337 t1_is616ul wrote

I mean they have a reasonably flat measurement, which is what the M is all about. Compare to those new Bose which looks like a mountain range.

suppaboy228 t1_is6evz9 wrote

As it was discussed, monitoring means being able to hear yourself when recording the performance.

Monitoring headphones should not be flat at all. Ones of the best monitoring headphones are 770's and m50x's.

Their spikes are intentional to make the singer record the vocals so that sibilants occur less and for better upper detail retrieval. Narrow soundstage also helps with that.

I don't know if it was designed with that in mind, but we use them for that specific reason as well as many other recording engineers.

And yes, no one is seriously mixing with those.

MrSuicidalis t1_irzm0cy wrote

You should try bluetooth adapters! I use TRN BT30's with my iems, and the swappable connector really is great when yiu have several different iems. They have an inbuilt chip, so they can run some power-hungrier iems too.

my2dumbledores t1_irzzgjc wrote

I actually prefer my Gen 2’s.

The ANC means I can listen at very low levels, and I find the in-ear comfort unbeatable.

djneo t1_irxiki0 wrote

I love my airpods tho. I don't like earbuds that go in to my ears so i have the normal 3's. It's not great quality but fine enough. Best non in ear options i found so far.

ewmcdade t1_irxjgqm wrote

They are great quality though. Only a few years ago little plastic earbuds that didn’t seal sounded like shit with no bass. The Gen 3’s have great bass and even have a nice and open soundstage.

FarImpact4184 t1_irxu81v wrote

Yeah imo people that hate on airpods are just snobs with no ear they sound better than they should

ewmcdade t1_irxzjxw wrote

My other set of headphones are Denon D-7000. I’m not lying when I say AirPod 3 sounds similar tonally and spatially to those big semi-open headphones. It’s kind of ridiculous.

djneo t1_irxkegk wrote

Yeah I had the first gen and was very surprised about there sound. I use them mainly when traveling and at work to call or sometimes for background music if i don't have my proper headphones there or don't want to wear them

djneo t1_irxj9ah wrote

If anyone has an advice for nice non in ears i'm all welcome

LifeAspect t1_irxb4jw wrote

wdym the airpods pro 2 are the best iems ever made

serious tho: as much as I like my wired iems, the convenience of the airpods pro 2 are just nice during office hours / working out etc. While I'll agree they pale in comparison to wired iems sound wise, I do get their massive appeal. They also aren't the worst in sound and they are on par with 100 euro iems easily. You are just paying 200 euro extra for the convenience and features. The tuning of the new generation of airpods pro isn't even half bad if I am honest...

Cameri- OP t1_irxcmop wrote

100% with you on this. Not having to worry about wires and the general hassle-free experience I get with the AirPods Pro 2 is pretty great. I used to know the AirPods Pro Gen 1 and they definitely improved on these by a noticeable amount. Transparency mode also comes in handy if I'm in the city and need to worry about cars or construction, and making/answering phone calls has been crystal clear. Overall a really solid package for everything you get.

NotNerd-TO t1_irxkpis wrote

The convenience of the AirPods only exists because of what Apple started. If the headphone jack was still common on phones, having wired IEMs wouldn’t be anywhere near as much of an inconvenience. I realise I’m a moron but I’ve lost count of how many of the lighting to 3.5mm I’ve had to buy. Not to mentioned the fact that I can’t have my phone on charge and listen to music, unless I use my wireless earbuds. Bring back the headphone jack.

Available-Film3084 t1_irxr6wd wrote

Not really, at least for me. I always hated the cable when i was out doing something so when the first "wireless" earbuds (those that had a cable running between them only) hit the market i was over the moon for it. I'll happily sacrifice quality over convenience for when I'm at the gym or taking a walk.

Joesizzle442344 t1_irxxkh0 wrote

There is an adapter to charge and listen but I know it’s a pain in the butt!!!

agastyaseth t1_irxukys wrote

Personally I keep both with me too as they serve different purposes. Although I do believe even strictly SQ-wise too APP is pretty decent and stands it’s own with sub-100$ IEMs.

MediumElephant6 t1_irzlh9f wrote

The original AirPods Pro definitely pale in comparison to Moondrop Aria

deadxobbit t1_irxnrhq wrote

Ah, a GN Wireframe mousemat, nice!

Cameri- OP t1_irxpg4k wrote

Glad you noticed! GN deserves any support they can get because of the honesty and transparency in their journalism. One of the few channels on the platform that refuses to compromise on the truth even when they’ve been offered bribes or threats alike.

tufts_ t1_iry2y1g wrote

The airpods pro just fit my ears better than any iem tips, sadly, I've tried a lot of them. The gen 1 pros always left me wanting to reach for the KATO later on, the gen 2 much less so. Enjoy what works for you yeah?

hcvc t1_irz8kpb wrote

I agree that they sound better but the inconvenience makes them useless to me compared to wireless. My etymotics sound great but I can’t use them with my phone comfortably. At home I can use the 600.

iamStarLordSamurai t1_irzpx7l wrote

It’s all convenient and portability that’s the key factor AirPods are super hit. It just works but it’s no way near to my moondrop or ATXM50xBT

nevermakefunofea t1_irzt3gq wrote

I own blessing 2s, ER2XR and just a few weeks ago got my hands on the airpods pro 2. Sure the airpods don't sound as good as my blessing 2s but their portability is unmatched and their anc is really powerful so I use them while I'm out and about. But when I'm at home I'll stick to my blessings

tomatomater t1_is0brdi wrote

Just got a pair of affordable TWS earbuds recently and I'm spoiled by the convenience. Can't be bothered to bring my Andros out anymore unless I know that I'll have a long train/bus ride or something.

Ready_Throat5369 t1_irxcllv wrote

I completely thought this was a straggler meme monday post that got popped up for me on a tuesday

Evgarian t1_irxfbfg wrote

How do you like the IQUINIX?

Cameri- OP t1_irxh2h2 wrote

It is just superb! The TTC Gold Pink switches feel so fast and smooth, it's like butter lol. The whole space/wormhole aesthetic is in contrast to the rest of my gear but I love it, build quality is top tier as well. Overkill for my needs but will satisfy my mechanical keyboard needs for a long time.

GreenSky2077 t1_iryiu2a wrote

Lol they hit different, it sounds like your smoking IEMs and enjoying the high 🥴.

softriceking001 t1_is0o0w2 wrote

My hd600 sound so much better then the new pro.

chammer36 t1_is3pd14 wrote

Can someone recommend a good entry level? Always wanted to try iems.

michael2v t1_is4w8ph wrote

Arias punch way above their weight class.

Acrobatic_Dinner6129 t1_iryv1xm wrote

seriously get a proper dac and amp or mobile player those dongels sounds like hot garbage

−13

dztryrph t1_irx6xqw wrote

Eww Airpods

−22