Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nadeoki t1_iydcvtf wrote

tekszi t1_iydjsj0 wrote

100% true, I feel that I may have worded my sentences so that it looks like I think otherwise but that is not the case

Nadeoki t1_iyea32c wrote

You called using asio over windows direct drivers "placebo" even tho noise from sample rate conversion has been demonstrated as audible.

tekszi t1_iyegc6c wrote

No, I said that tweaking anything mentioned by the op's post won't help you get more out of using ASIO, WASAPI or even Windows Direct Audio , I never mentioned that either of those protocols were placebo. What I was talking about was the case of setting their process to a dedicated processor core and that affecting their sound quality.

juliangst t1_iydoops wrote

Nope, they’re not. You can simply measure the windows audio loopback and see that windows direct sound with its upsampling and dithering is as transparent as Wasapi/Asio

Nadeoki t1_iyeb83r wrote

That has, in fact been done which demonstrates windows direct has noise in the audible range. While WASAPI does not. In fact, with WASAPI and ASIO, there's no need for sample rate conversion at all.

The difference between ASIO/WASAPI and DS is that DS always use the Win mixer.

All audio is dithered by the mixer.

If the sample rate of the audio differs from the one set in the sound panel, it will be resampled.

ASIO/WASAPI (exclusive) will bypass the mixer.

No dither and no resampling if the hardware is able to play the sample rate of the audio. This is about the protocol. The media player might do all kind of DSP like volume control + dither.