Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jaeger01 t1_ixls6zi wrote

Actually looking forward to this era of earphones.

i wonder if they will implement bass boost at lower volumes similar to airpods'

Toronto-Will t1_ixmwk3c wrote

I dunno, sometimes less is more, when it comes to how many different functions are integrated into the same piece of hardware. I like "all in one" type devices as an *option*, particularly in circumstances where I value being efficient and compact, but I generally really value the ability to pick and chose and swap out my own parts. It also tends to give electronics a longer useful lifespan.

Like take the example of an iMac versus a traditional Windows PC. Both have their appeal, but I would hate for all computers to be built like iMacs. I think it's similar with audio enthusiasts wanting separate dacs and amps, separate power amps when they need them for speakers, sometimes separate DSP units, detachable cables, etc... A headphone with an undetachable USB-C cable and built in dac/amp/EQ is good for only thing, plugged into 1 kind of socket that is supported by relatively few devices (computers and some mobile devices yes, but what about things like vinyl record players, an aux output on a powered speaker or receiver, etc...). Vs. a good old 3.5mm jack that I can plug into basically anything with widely available dongles and adapters.

This is a cheap headphone, I know, so it's whatever--I'm just saying if this is going to become a broader trend, I'm not super enthused about it.