Submitted by Lapralapso t3_z5x0qx in headphones

This is going to be a very different type of post compared to the other posts on this sub, and I apologize for the very long wall of text you have in front of you, but I really wanted to share my experience of buying my very first pair of "audiophile grade" headphones, and how it helped me get through heartbreak.

Long story short - my ex broke up with me 3 months ago and it ruined me. It was my first major breakup and I'm sure many of you know what I feel and understand how bad the first real breakup is, so I need not go into the details. All I need to say is my life felt, well, lifeless, for the past 3 months. The only thing keeping me going was getting lost in music - which was pretty hard to do with my airpods pro, which are good earbuds (from what I've heard before), but nowhere near as good as the type that people on this subreddit would listen to for "getting lost in music."

For a while now, I've considered myself addicted to good sounding music. Like, I'm "that guy" in the car full of bassheads blasting EDM that is just trying not to cry because of how drowned out and muddy the music sounds, because all I can hear is OOMPH OOMPH OOMPH.

But I've never really bothered to buy myself a good pair of headphones - a good pair that audiophiles would "approve of". Until just this week, thanks to Black Friday. I decided "hey, I wanna treat myself after a hell of a semester, and I've always wanted good headphones, fuck it", and so I bought myself some good old Sennheiser HD 560S' based on recommendations and me trying out a bunch of headphones at the store and deciding these were my style.

All I can say is I was never getting lost in the music with my airpods pro, compared to what I have experienced these past few days. This is something else. I really don't need words to describe it because I know you all know the feeling of putting on your very first pair of high end headphones and getting sucked in, but wow, this was something else. I would close my eyes and the music would envelop me in it. As if I had no responsibilities, no problems in life. It was just me, and the music.

Not only that, but whenever I feel anything sad due to the heartbreak, I literally just put these on, get lost in the music, and 15 minutes later it's like I'm a new person. These things are like a reset button.

All I can say is... shit. I'm in the high-end headphone business for good now. These will take me far, since I am still a broke university student after all and can't afford anything above this price bracket, but once I get myself a good job - a little too much of my income is going to be going towards audio.

I get it now guys, I really do.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wurkuwurku t1_ixyltas wrote

With the audiophile pricing, you will never be able to afford to be in a relationship again!

entivoo t1_iy29s9d wrote

Aint that super accurate, no families, no gf, just headphones, amplifiers and DACs. That actually doesn't sound as bad as it sound, or is it? ๐Ÿค”

Lapralapso OP t1_iy43kb0 wrote

That sounds wonderful! Who needs a gf when you can just sit down after a long day, and listen to music? And FEEL it!?

iBanshe3 t1_iy38rwk wrote

I just need to leave a haha here ๐Ÿคฃ

Hlebcek27 t1_ixydkkk wrote

I hope you'll forget quickly about the things that happened. I wish you the best.

zabadai t1_ixydp8c wrote

Enjoy the journey and your music. As for the break up-there will come a day when you will look back and realize that it wasn't worth your tears, so to speak. Just a matter of time.

chloe334 t1_ixyt0rp wrote

Shop used, headphones dont really age beyond minor cosmetic damage and maybe a jammy earcup adjustment. Theyll sound the same as new for half the price, im also a student and the used market is my temple lol

ArkhamKnight0708 t1_ixzgwy6 wrote

The used market is a godsend. I buy almost nothing new anymore. Brand new my set-up is probably 2 grand but if you find the right deals you could spend 1200-1300 used with no real downsides. Just need to clean the things you buy and you're good

Lonxxki t1_ixzjnnu wrote

I always look deals on FB marketplace(in my country this is the option) I really want dt 900 pro x and I was saving up for it till december , and one day I saw one that listed for $199.99 I spent no time to get it and I'm so happy this my endgame for now it's so good for fps games and such a all rounder for all the things I do.

its_keyute t1_ixyj11j wrote

u got this ๐Ÿ’œ

whitechapel6 t1_ixylav1 wrote

All the best dude , i have to blast groove metal and deathcore with my fd5 to endure my heartbreak as well

Kid__Flash t1_iy0011h wrote

So.... Wtf is groove metal? I'm genuinely curious

whitechapel6 t1_iy04kqy wrote

https://youtu.be/AkFqg5wAuFk

This is one of the popular songs . U can check Pantera , lamb of god etc

Kid__Flash t1_iy05n7z wrote

Ah, I see! I am very familiar with Pantera, I just had never heard the term before but it makes sense! I was expecting something like Head Automatica but heavier, lol

Impossible-Stop2243 t1_ixzocje wrote

The first cut is deepest, as with women so with headphones! Enjoy the ride!

corporatemonkey t1_ixzpj0v wrote

Dude I am depressed and the only thing that gives me joy in life is hearing the music I love on awesome and immersive headphones.

Penne311 t1_ixyue8y wrote

Wishing you all the best! Glad you're able to get through it.

JuliusBelmont2000 t1_ixyx59e wrote

The moment when it clicks...

It's magical! Enjoy high quality music from now on!

Good luck.

Elpreto2 t1_ixzbizm wrote

It's why we're all here.

Good music playing on quality drivers!!

Enjoy my friend, wish you the best!!

Neither-Welder5001 t1_ixznrhi wrote

I got through my last bad breakup with cheap buds, great music and a soaked pillow. You are already doing better than me. Hold on to those cans

entivoo t1_iy29fdi wrote

Having a hobby can be a lifesaver! It's been 8 years now and I'm so deep in my hobbies I forget to get a girlfriend altogether, people thought I am gay!

But gay means happy in old english so I guess it is kinda accurate?

Cheers mate for being happy in this hobby!

Able-Elk9599 t1_iy1y1vg wrote

Iโ€™m single and itโ€™s probably because I spend all my money on audio gear. But to be fair I feel you I bought the HD599โ€™s recently just to have something different but I think them having a bad cable made it not worth it for me. My home audio setup (living at home) is probably 8k and my headphones and other speakers have put me back probably $4k. Iโ€™m also a college student but will be 28. In the last year Iโ€™ve spent more than I ever have on audio and while I love it you always want that next thing thatโ€™s better haha. A lot of folks have the focal clear and Iโ€™d sell mine to the right person since I got the Stellias. (I want the new utopias, and a tube amp.)

bostonmoores t1_iy29lb6 wrote

I literally remember the first time I had put on good headphones and was blown away by all the sound that I had not heard before.

I say use this time as a hobby that will help move from thinking or pondering on that last relationship. There is a wealth of knowledge out there on head-fi.org.