Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Moment_37 t1_ixq8gwf wrote

I'd rather buy a car.

AyeYoYoYO t1_ixq8we5 wrote

Price is indeed rather steep lol

For that price, they should have a perfect-target-curve FR and other quantifiables, with no customization required to peak.

Please everyone, post here when you find your first reputable source for a FR graph on these ! Thanks !

TheFrator t1_ixqyexf wrote

If you want perfect (or near perfect) frequency response adherence then get the DCA Expanse.

Remember that Harman curve is a smoothed curve. So it’s an average and is not going to be for everyone.

AyeYoYoYO t1_ixra53g wrote

I personally find the Hartman curve slightly too bass-heavy. It’s definitley not for everyone.

TheFrator t1_ixs03q9 wrote

Same with the bass in Harman. I just don’t know if perfect target adherence is the optimal metric headphone manufacturers should aim for. Obviously competent tonal balance is important but I don’t want to live in a world where every headphone is tuned to Harman.

AyeYoYoYO t1_ixs6he4 wrote

Word. The consumer market right now is almost all slightly too bass heavy.

There are many different target curves, some for each taste. I find the Harman nearly perfect in the upper bass, mids, and lower treble.

Bass & sub a little too heavy, far upper treble barely too dim.

TheFrator t1_ixs7sr2 wrote

It’s funny. I remember a thread last week where someone was complaining about not enough bass in Harman. Discontinuities like this make me think there will never be the one true target curve.

Mid treble harman messes with me because I’m a little bitch when it comes to treble. I love dark headphones.

AyeYoYoYO t1_ixsehfo wrote

There definitley shouldn’t be ONE.

Multiple target curves, for a wide range of tastes and applications, is best.

Headphone tuning from the factory, should be able to please several different curves, with multiple pad options to customize it.

This is the real future of open back high end headphones. Flagship models capable of competently delivering several different target curves, on the same model with quick swaps any user can easily do.

JSoppenheimer t1_ixx4fm8 wrote

Even the study behind Harman target very clearly noted that it is not optimal for everyone’s preferences, it’s just what the majority prefer.

So as it is, aiming for it is generally a safe bet for headphone manufacturers, and if you had to create one set of headphones to please the maximum number of people, Harman target it is. But of course, in reality we have to remember that people buying headphones are a diverse bunch, and if everyone else is aiming for Harman target, it actually might be better to aim for a different sound signature to please the people who would prefer some other tuning over Harman.

So, I wouldn’t be too worried about everything becoming the same, there are good market reasons to keep offerings more diverse even if Harman becomes more popular.

TheFrator t1_ixx6n7o wrote

Thank you for reminding me of that point