Submitted by Untrue_sounds t3_z17set in headphones

I was grabbing the thieaudio oracle mkii a few days earlier and my buddy asked me why I wasn't getting the big headphones. I answered that I like IEMs more. But now I'm actually curious. What level of performance can I expect from a headphone of that budget? Can those challenge the likes of oracle mkii? Even more what headphones can fight directly with the high-end IEMs?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JustAu69 t1_ix9jtlv wrote

Details wise, IEMs might be more detailed than any headphone at that price. However, it doesn't have the same soundstage

SpiritualFact5593 t1_ixac4pk wrote

I would say for details and clarity, Iems might have an edge but for soundstage probably the headphones. I went with both at $250 each haha

Inevitable-Dress5240 t1_ixb9ngs wrote

I do feel that $500 and a small dongle that I can drive with is quite good enough for most IEMs. However, headphones for the $500 have yet to include the amp and DAC. The total cost of that gear will be around $200, or $700 plus or minus. Bear in mind most IEM can preform with phone or laptop just with the headphone 3.5mm jack.

GoTouchGrassKid t1_ixcy1ab wrote

There are a ton of headphones that will work off of the same dongle that powers the IEMs without issue.

Inevitable-Dress5240 t1_ixd1281 wrote

I don't mean to say all. But I do agree most of headphone sound the best with amp. And headphones mostly are open back. Not like your going to vibe them in the train or bus.

blargh4 t1_ixa3c47 wrote

I think much like speakers vs. headphones, they're just somewhat different animals.

I'm not a fancy IEM guy but I listened to someone else's Blessing2 the other day, and it still sounds like a thing you stick in your ear canal... soundstage, tactility, just not quite the same as a good $300 headphone (even as limited as that is with headphones).

No-Context5479 t1_ixabnu6 wrote

@ that price point they become a question of do you like how IEM present sound or you like how headphones present sound cos you'd find great headphones and IEMs at that price point

TheRadiantSoap t1_ixb0r5p wrote

To me, iems are better at every point. To some people over ear are better. Depends on what you like

And 500 hundred and under iem market is more innovative rn imo. So I think for most people 500 and bellow iem is a better bet. Unless Soundstage matters to you

therealPaulPlay t1_ixbxg6z wrote

I don‘t really get the same bass on iems that I get with headphones… maybe it has something to do with my ear or my seal but the sub bass just sounds smaller

TheRadiantSoap t1_ixc6x9v wrote

No, you're right. You don't get head shaking bass. Just the same noise as head shaking bass

bbuky01 t1_ixaqol1 wrote

I agree with u/No-Context5479 it is a matter of sound presentation that you prefer. I tend to prefer the headphone presentation myself but have heard many of the TOTL IEM’s and many are really fantastic but still gravitate towards headphone’s.

GoTouchGrassKid t1_ixcxxz3 wrote

While tonality is preference based: The dynamic range, sense of space, and 'slam' created by a headphone can't be mimicked in an IEM.

In general: Speakers > Headphones > IEM at similar price points.

However, it depends on the listening environment. Most good headphones are Open Back. My house is old and my home office overlooks a busy street. I can't enjoy Open Back headphones due to the noise pollution. And I can't focus with speakers.

So I have a semi-open headphone that works most of the time (E-mu teak), an IEM (B2Dusk) for when its busy or I want isolation, and a pair of noise cancelers for piping in white noise when I have to focus on a high functioning task.

I have also put the nose cancellers overtop the B2Dusks for more or less complete silence.

TL:DR - Depends on use case more then anything else.

miles971 t1_ixd08fn wrote

Depends heavily on comfort. Soundstage can be found in $40 Koss headphones.

Hungry-Power6850 t1_ixe1xi8 wrote

Have some $15 Lenovo Thinkplus wireless buds from Aliexpress, I wear them frequently, rarely use my Sennheiser or Meze. 30x pairs for $500👍

TheMisterTango t1_ixfsxdz wrote

I’d do headphones simply because I don’t like putting things in my ears.

Squid_Man56 t1_ixl1t08 wrote

depends on the use case, sitting at a desk i would take $500 headphones over iems for the comfort over long periods and sound stage every time, but i have a $300 pair of iems that i use almost every day at work where I'm always on my feet and every night in bed where headphones would fall off or get crushed. I love them both, but they each have their niche. If you have neither, I would split and get one of each for $250. hell, good iems are getting cheap so $150 on iems and $350 on headphones gets you into high quality stuff on both sides. I'd just browse r/AVexchange until something catches your eye lol

just sayin rn you can get HD6XX + LetShuoer S12 + Fiio BTR5 for about $450 total and be happy on all fronts

thatcarolguy t1_ix9xyb4 wrote

$20 Chu blows away almost any headphone of any price....

−32

Moar_Wattz t1_ixa0nlc wrote

Oh, look. It’s Meme Monday again…

thatcarolguy t1_ixa0pv2 wrote

your a meme

−23