Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZevireTees OP t1_j2c9p8w wrote

I found these headphones online, and I don't understand how you would be able to run 1500 ohm headphones. I wanted to find some headphones that looked kind of like these but I want to see of someone can mod the with new drivers. I came across these and was stunned because I had not seen over 600 ohms.

blargh4 t1_j2cbpxm wrote

> I don't understand how you would be able to run 1500 ohm headphones

depends entirely on their sensitivity... possibly very easily.

Half-White-Mexican t1_j2ccb16 wrote

I converted a kilo-ohm military aviation/tank headset and it got more than enough power from my TA-30. You can drive them with any amp that provides enough power.

Berny-Aver95 t1_j2chqx3 wrote

And how do they sound?

Half-White-Mexican t1_j2cnsm9 wrote

All mids. Great for radioing your comrades, awful for everything else.

I was able to EQ them and they sound half decent, but still don't have all that much technical ability.

oratory1990 t1_j2d8942 wrote

> You can drive them with any amp that provides enough power.

With a load impedance that high you'll mostly be concerned about providing sufficient voltage. Current draw (and hence power) won't be high due to the high load impedance.

Cartella t1_j2cxua6 wrote

Assuming the same efficiency, the difference in sensitivity of a 1500 ohm headphone and a 600 ohm one is 4 dB, which is probably less than you think. Or almost 8 dB from a 250 ohm one.

audiophile_lurker t1_j2dxsb9 wrote

Electrostatic headphones have impedances to the tune of 100,000 ohms. 1500 ohm is not that big a deal as long as long as they are either fairly sensitive (which is probably the case for crystal radio headphones), or you got a high voltage amplifier (do not need much current at this point).

Shlushii t1_j2eh4xc wrote

Hotwire it right into the back of a serious speaker amp