Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

attlo996 t1_j5qljos wrote

In this subreddit everything is irrelevant as long as you use an Apple Dongle and you can EQ...

pinkcunt123 t1_j5sq7m7 wrote

Well, objectively this is kinda true tho.

attlo996 t1_j5squfo wrote

Why then you own two expensive headphones, since you can EQ them to whatever sound you like? One should do the job.

−5

pinkcunt123 t1_j5ss4q4 wrote

Closed backs provide noise isolation, open backs don't.

The Noire is more comfortable than the AKG K317 and like it does NOT need EQ, so I bought it. Back when Poweramp did not have PEQ stock tonality was important for my closed backs, which I take with me on business trips and on the train.

I own the 660S and not the 600 or 650, because I got them cheaper. I don't own a DT 880 and use EQ because the DT 880 is uncomfortable for me with its small cup diameter. The 560S was not available back then, otherwise that would have probably been an even cheaper option.

I EQed the 660S to Harman but anything above 10k is basically a free for all and EQing soundstage doesn't work, so obviously the don't sound 100% identical but close enough. Also, the noire has a mid bass hump that adss some punch (I don't get reviewers talking lack of dynamics. Unit variation maybe?). I could EQ that hump away but I don't mind it, gives em some extra character, like the excessive energy above 10k.

There is nothing wrong with buying expensive headphones, just don't expect them to be better because of it. "Detail" and "resolution" being tied to price in a way is awfully suspicious. Also, as long as no one can explain those things properly, thus telling other what to hear for and focus on, they are placebo/bias kicking in.

Soundstage is real and can be a valid purchase criteria if you are into that, but then again, desktop speakers do it better for cheaper, without taking up much room at all.

The Apple dongle has more than enough power for my listening levels, I use my phone with half as much output voltage without any issue. I bought a Fiio K5 for its volume knon, pre out and 6.35mm jack. Cheapest device that ticks all those boxes.

So, any more questions?

attlo996 t1_j5t9fw7 wrote

Soundstage is real? I don't trust you. It is only your perception of a headphone. I don't see it on graph then it does not exist. It is your brain generating that. Again, your perception. Detail, resolution, layering, soundstage, imaging? BULLSHIT. We trust only in the Holy Harman Target.

−6

AnOldMoth t1_j5tmhpk wrote

Nope, not quite. We don't have the ability to measure the minute differences accurately enough to make the amount of extremely small changes to do that.

You also can't really fix resonance peaks with EQ, when you try it messes with something about the sound, though I'm way too sleep-deprived it remember.

Otherwise, if we had good enough measurements, we could actually do what you described with a convolution filter, assuming the headphone had low enough distortion.