Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

not_ondrugs t1_j5h15c6 wrote

Sundaras are so good for the money.

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5hpaoj wrote

What about XS? Is it worth to pay the difference? I heard they compare to 1000$ headphones. What is more worth for the money out of these two?

tomatillo_ t1_j5i8evq wrote

Try both - sundaras are slightly warmer and edition xs leans slightly brighter + more resolving. I love the XS myself but I could see people making their case for either

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5ip7e4 wrote

I did try the XS and it was pretty amazing. I originally wanted to try Sumdara but they didn't have it. I guess it's better in all aspects?

tomatillo_ t1_j5iqhgv wrote

My personal opinion is yes, the XS is better in every way - but I also don't like warm-sounding things, so don't take my word for it

LTHardcase t1_j5kirc1 wrote

XS is Sundara on steroids, the latter has no advantages.

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5kypxd wrote

Thought so

LTHardcase t1_j5lebaa wrote

The egg shaped HFM reign supreme within their ecosystem, up until finding a reason to buy Susvara. I can't find a reason to downgrade once you've experienced the XS, the bass response alone is in a completely different league.

ledsled447 t1_j5ip19b wrote

Xs has a much bigger Soundstage and a much more impact in the bass. But Sundara sounds more natural to me (flat, consistent sound) and seems to have better imaging.

Demo'ed both but chose to keep the sundara

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5ipemc wrote

I tried XS but didn't get a chance to try Sundara. Yea I agree, the soundstage was massive and bass also good. Definitely did have that wow factor to it coming from my DT 770.

I originally wanted to try Sundara but they didn't have it. I guess I would skip the Sundara and go straight for the XS if I was upgrading. Which I can't justify yet as I just recently got the DT 770.

CelibateCarl t1_j5ndk5s wrote

Actually picking up a set of 770 80ohms tomorrow as my first set of proper cans! Currently on sale for $170 CAD. Couldn't pass it up!

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5pjvp1 wrote

I have the 80 Ω version as well. It's good but when I tried the XS the rabbit hole got deeper 😂

CelibateCarl t1_j5pkxey wrote

Ayy! Funny enough, my choices were between these, HE400SE and HD560s!

It's a dangerous hole to peek into.

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5plmm3 wrote

Have you tried all of them? Those two are really different from the DT 770. I only tried Edition XS and HD 600, but I was looking at those two as well since they are similar price to the 770.

CelibateCarl t1_j5rbdi3 wrote

Spoiler, I ended up picking up a set of 560s.
I've only tried the DT770 80 and 250s. Unfortunately I didn't have an amp to power the 250s, so it wasn't really at its full potential but I did try the 80s off a higher end PC right and it produced decent sound but I think it would've been better off a DAC. I ended up checking out used stuff locally one more time this morning and found a dude that had day old 560s with the receipts and everything and got a deal on em!

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5rflzy wrote

Did you go with it blindly? And do you like the 560s, now that you also know how the DT 770 sounds?

From my experience the DT 770 80 Ω version is perfectly fine without any AMP - both from my MacBook and iPhone.

CelibateCarl t1_j5s51rt wrote

TL;DR - heard a part from a fav song while testing the 560s and basically threw my money at him

I did yea. Had my S22 Ultra and a usb c dongle and buddy let me try em there. Played a few of my fav tracks real quick and I was pretty much sold.

I don't know if you've heard, but its a Ave Maria mix/remix with the Vengeance track from the new Batman movie. There's a part towards the end where the orchestra pauses and "bursts" back into life with a lot of energy and its got this..rumbly, satisfying bass behind it along with the instruments. I was shocked to hear the 560s give me that feeling like I was almost there while testing it. I've heard that part a bunch of times on my airpods, car system, my KZs and it didn't feel as good as it did there.
I'd love to hear the DTs off the Zen DAC Air that I got with them today to see if that would change my mind in the future. But for now, I'm super happy.

not_ondrugs t1_j5jgh79 wrote

If you like bass, go for the XS, but if you're not too bothered about that, then the Sundaras are fine.

PhoenixRisingtw t1_j5kxt59 wrote

I like my bass. I listen to music because of bass lol

not_ondrugs t1_j5kyr7s wrote

Well I’m sure someone could recommend a more bassy planar than the XS, if you want.