Submitted by TheQuickTheFast t3_10l33at in headphones

I've had this set (250 Ohm) for 7-8 months. The build quality is great, the comfort is great, but the sound is quite iffy. I don't actually mind the bass/treble as they are, I just find the mids to be fairly... recessed? I don't know if that is the correct term. Vocals - especially higher-pitched vocals - and instruments just don't sound as "full" to me. I've tried using presets like oratory1990's and fiddling with the Peace interface myself, but nothing has really hit the mark. It's probably due to my incompetence when it comes to using the tool. Do you have a preferred EQ for the DT 770s?

Please don't recommend purchasing new headphones. I already have plenty, and this set is (at least for me) by far the most comfortable and fitting for my use case.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ku1185 t1_j5uzllo wrote

Also thought female vocals can sometimes lack a sense of body and weight, making it a little ethereal and didn't quite stand out enough from the treble instruments. I just added a ~+3db @ 200hz. Can't quite remember the Q value though, but it was fairly narrow IIRC. It was quite subtle but thought that it helped with female vocals without affecting the overall sound signature too much, though it does make the bass sound a little more boomy/less tight.

EDIT: just opened up Peace APO for first time in I do'nt know how long and found the EQ settings. I last had it at 5db at 223hz with Q=2.6.

pinkcunt123 t1_j5ua0dy wrote

Well, using the oratory EQ as a bassline, what would you like to change exactly?

More bass? More treble? Less of both or either?

DONT TOUCH THE MIDS IT WILL SOUND TINY OR MUDDY OTHERWISE :)

If you have identified the "problem" area, just dial in a shelf and boost or decrease it all at once. Easiest and dirtiest way to adjust for treble and bass preference.

TheQuickTheFast OP t1_j5uchwg wrote

I guess my issue with the oratory EQ is that it makes the headphone sound rather... standard? There's nothing wrong with it, but I've heard the sound signature so many times before that it's become kind of "boring". It absolutely did bring out the mids more, but the headphones lost a lot of their "uniqueness".

I want to preserve the original sound signature as much as I can while bringing the mids forward just a tad. Can that be accomplished by dialing down the bass/treble?

Sorry if I sound pretentious/demanding, I'm mostly just ignorant.

pinkcunt123 t1_j5uexpu wrote

The DT 770 Pro is what one would call V-shaped. This means they have a bass and treble boost. Id recommend playing with a bass shelf, starting at around 100Hz and then just increasing the boost to your preference. You can also set the shelf at lower or higher frequencies, all depending on what you like, but don't go to high and ruin the mids.

Same thing for the treble, just set a shelf starting at 5000Hz or so and adjust boost as well as exact position according to what sounds best to you.

What you are basically trying to do, is to get a V-shape, with "correct" mids.

Also, remember to adjust preamp as to "counteract" your highest boost. So, if the highest boost setting is +12dB set preamp to -12. If the highest boost is +29dB set preamp to -29dB. You get the point. This is to prevent clipping!