Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pinkcunt123 t1_j5gyzcu wrote

Ive been using Poweramp since 2017, before that I used the media player on my Samsung phone.

Not for the quality benefit, which btw does not exist. 320kbit high quality spotify is indistinguishable from CD quality even for trained listeners after all.

I use Poweramp because I hate monthly subscriptions and I hate the Spotify interface.

Since Poweramp now even offer parametric EQ, which wasn't always the case, there is now a reason to use it other than preference.

PEQ is the single most powerful tool in audio land.

PEQ is the difference between an abysmally poor tonality and literal heaven.

PEQ has the potential to turn any headphone into one, which sounds just the way YOU like it.

Basically: use PEQ. Does not matter whether it's tied to poweramp or not. I think without EQ one is missing out.

Acceptable_Crazy_117 OP t1_j5h6qju wrote

This is super helpful. If I wanted to get a PEQ that works for spotify, what app would you recommend?

drbobb t1_j5iy1pt wrote

Well aren't you missing out by not having access to any music other than what you have been able to obtain as files?

pinkcunt123 t1_j5j1uxv wrote

No? Why would I? I have been buying all the music I want ever since I was 14. In fact, there has been a time where spotify was missing quite a bit of the underground stuff I listen to.

If I feel like I need something new, I usually go on a bandcamp/youtube deep dive to find new artists, whose albums I can then buy.

drbobb t1_j5lltyf wrote

If that keeps you happy, great. As for me, streaming allows me to learn about and enjoy a lot more music than ever before (I have been alive for quite a while now), and a lot more than I could afford to buy on physical media - especially older stuff, classic rock, jazz of the bop/cool/fusion eras, and so on.