Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

atrophy98 t1_j789qqu wrote

What is a good source (preferably documentary/docuseries) to learn about the history of Europe? I know the individual histories of some civilizations but I was looking for a big-picture overview.

glycophosphate t1_j79alg8 wrote

I myself have found the Crash Course series on YouTube to be a good overview.

jrhooo t1_j7o1k38 wrote

What period in particular are you looking for?

For podcasts, The History of Byzantium podcast is very good

As is Mike Duncan's "Revolutions" podcast (which is excellent). Its not meant to be about "Europe" specifically, but you get dedicated seasons on English, French (several), Russian, and general 1800s European revolutions.

Also the episodes about non-European revolution (American, Haitian, South American) are still very European heavy, since A. They typically inspired or were inspired by other revolutions in Europe, B. Those revolutions in the Americas were... colonies throwing off their European rule. The Haitian revolution is French history. The wars of Simon Bolivar are absolutely Spanish history, etc.

Big point here, the Revolutions entire podcast series makes a great unintentional education on modern European history, because

Reason 1, it gives the chronological story of "how did Europe go from pretty much all monarchies, to pretty much NOT monarchies?" (only 12 out of 44 European countries still have monarchs, and only 1, the Vatican, is still an actual "absolute monarchy" i.e., the monarch has final say decision making power)

Reason 2, those revolutions are all connected. Its less about a list of national events, and more about a string of dominoes.

The process of Europe as a whole doing away with rule by monarch, is sort of like one big, 235 year, rolling brush fire. The podcast walks you through the entire thing, from "it was a hot day with some dry grass" to "when we sift through all these ashes"