Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OmNomSandvich t1_j8kjwum wrote

On time mail and on time pay keeps an army happy and willing to fight.

AlanFromRochester t1_j8ldgjv wrote

It was immediately obvious that their work would be important for morale

From Patton's speech to the Third Army (his examples are supply logistics)

All the real heroes are not storybook combat fighters. Every single man in the army plays a vital role. So don't ever let up. Don't ever think that your job is unimportant.

Confused_Adria t1_j8mo97i wrote

Boys study tactics, Men study logistics, Logistics is one of the most important parts behind any fighting force and can easily boost performance and moral, Or crush it.

​

Every single person in a military force is important, From those on the front lines, To those bringing in supplies to those that make the decisions, It is all one cohesive unit, One Entity.

lochlainn t1_j8lql6l wrote

Everybody thinks it's bullets and beans. It's actually bullets, letters, then beans.

shryke12 t1_j8m7bzy wrote

I fought in two wars. It's most definitely bullets and beans. This is just wrong.

lochlainn t1_j8ne6ej wrote

It was a joke. I should have added the /s.

elmonoenano t1_j8jwzei wrote

There's a fairly recent book out called Half American that talks about the service of Black Americans in the military and specifically mentions some of this units accomplishments. The book was great and I'd really recommend it. It's by Matthew Delmont.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/16/books/review/half-american-matthew-f-delmont.html

Connallmac t1_j8k62wz wrote

Seconded, it’s an excellent book.

ImaginaryList174 t1_j8kj1nd wrote

Thirded - I randomly came across this book sitting on a table at my doctors office last month. They were really behind for whatever reason, and I had almost an hour to read before my name was called. I was so into it that the receptionist let me borrow it to finish, lol.

Quwinsoft t1_j8l40xd wrote

“Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics.” – Gen. Robert H. Barrow

doug_c t1_j8kabsz wrote

I have just seen the movie being filmed today at Duxford Air Museum in the UK. An impressive sight seeing around a couple hundred women marching past the hangers. Great timing on sharing this article.

InhaleMyOwnFarts t1_j8kh25f wrote

This generation was remarkable. Sadly, time is taking hold and we don’t have many left. These women are national treasures.

prpslydistracted t1_j8l0vy2 wrote

If any readers get the chance take a detour to Sweetwater, TX to see the https://www.waspmuseum.org/

I had the privilege to meet one of these rock stars at an event years ago. I was still recruiting (AF, 1967 - 1977). This little old lady paused when she saw me ... it was still unusual to see women in uniform. I greeted her and she only smiled, then reached into her purse to show me her WASP ID. I was stunned ... having read about these women pilots was inspiring. We hugged and spoke several minutes.

After all these years I'm ashamed to say I don't remember her name; I need to go back over their rosters and see if any spark a memory.

ImmoralityPet t1_j8ltrdu wrote

Did you even read the part about how discriminatory that generation was towards women and people of color? That generation was remarkably segregated.

Mumb13s- t1_j8kmadm wrote

Great share! Thank you. Mail is so incredibly important when you’re deployed. It would make my entire week to get a single letter. Just outstanding to see this brave American recognized.

badwhiskey63 t1_j8kbp6e wrote

That was very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

LimeWizard t1_j8m153z wrote

So much of history of the front lines must've passed through their hands

Theobat t1_j8mql1i wrote

Incredible, thanks for sharing!

Silhouette_Edge t1_j8l4jvt wrote

Bless those brave women. Their story needs to be known to all of us.

−1

killdeer03 t1_j8kfmkl wrote

Super interesting!

Good post OP!

−2

Averander t1_j8k0faj wrote

All across the world, minority service in WW2 is still not very well known despite how well documented the war was.

I think that speaks volumes about how far there is to go in terms of equality and acceptance.

−47

Sacpunch t1_j8k4pe1 wrote

To be fair Reddit has a problem with revisionist history.

Averander t1_j8k5lui wrote

There's literally loads of minority groups that were in the wars that are ignored or only slowly being brought up like this now. Aboriginal units on the Australian front who were never properly acknowledged, African American soldiers who were never honoured. We could do the right thing and put these people in the books where they belong, rather than bury our heads in the sand. I don't see how it's a bad thing? I mean, doesn't it just show we can be better and do better?

I don't think I'll ever understand people!

−12

MrBlack103 t1_j8k6aao wrote

It continually astounds me how many people act surprised when they’re told a huge amount of the colonial powers’ manpower came from their colonies.

Averander t1_j8ka3xu wrote

Not just colonies, but the native and usually heavily abused populations!

−18

stirfriedglory t1_j8k6tzu wrote

I fail to see how events almost 80 years in the past are able to speak about modern day equality and acceptance.

n-some t1_j8kat5c wrote

I think it's not the events themselves, it's the lack of knowledge about those events. When one hears that the UK fought WW2, one tends to think of a white British man, not an Indian man, although both are accurate. There was a vocal minority complaining about black french soldiers in the film Dunkirk being woke revisionism, despite the large numbers of colonial soldiers that fought for France on French soil.

smolDreee t1_j8l75wk wrote

>When one hears that the UK fought WW2, one tends to think of a white British man, not an Indian man, although both are accurate.

Does that matter? I mean, the Roman Imperial Army had black legionnaires in it too. But why is that important?

−2

n-some t1_j8l9266 wrote

If your sentiment is that we should operate in a post-racial world, I would agree. Unfortunately in the world we currently live in, people often associate ethnicity with nationality at a level that has rarely been historically accurate.

smolDreee t1_j8l9c5n wrote

Well I mean, we really should operate in a post-war world too. But thats I guess too advanced a thought for the rest of humanity.

Averander t1_j8kauk3 wrote

It is the fact that we continue to ignore the importance of services of minority populations in those events. It would take literally no effort to acknowledge them, and yet 80 years on and we still are only just managing to give some begrudging credit (and even then not much in books). Yet the documentation is all there, meticulous.

When the easy work hasn't been done for decades, it speaks volumes about the hard work.

Disastrous_Sun2932 t1_j8kbvu3 wrote

I mean, at the end of the day it’s a soldier. They serve their country, and that’s what matters the most

Averander t1_j8kc8gi wrote

Unless their service is never acknowledged and they are treated as never having served. Which happened for many.

Disastrous_Sun2932 t1_j8kd9le wrote

Unfortunately not all heroes see the light of the day. I bet there are thousands stories of many soldiers from various countries and ethnicities that were never told

Averander t1_j8keqiw wrote

And that's what can be changed, easily. Those people can be acknowledged and the wrongs of that era made right. It wouldn't take huge monetary or social change, but acknowledging these people and their contributions.

When that can't be done, it really makes you wonder.

ABetterKamahl1234 t1_j8kll6v wrote

> Those people can be acknowledged and the wrongs of that era made right. It wouldn't take huge monetary or social change, but acknowledging these people and their contributions.

Depending on the group, it can be hard to dig up information to accurately depict this if there was something like rampant racism that refused to acknowledge contributions.

It's hard to bring up 80 year old information that never got written down, many of the people involved wouldn't even still be alive.

Averander t1_j8knocq wrote

However their service has been recorded, that is the issue here. Meticulous records of troops and service were kept, through logs, diaries and other records. We have absolutely unfathomable amounts of data from the period, hence so many documentaries and historical books upon the era.

The people may not be alive, but the records are very much intact. While people were very much racist, they were still very happy recording every detail.

[deleted] t1_j8k3kim wrote

[removed]

MrBlack103 t1_j8kycn9 wrote

How the hell does this get so many downvotes? Apparently my opinion of this sub was too high.

Edit: There's no clear pattern to which comments are upvoted or downvoted heavily. What gives?

−9