Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GhostfaceChase t1_j9jiiun wrote

Currently Reading two history books and while I'm not finished with either, I can say they're pretty great so far:

• These Truths: A History of the U.S. By Jill Lepore - A really great history of the United States that also analyzes said history, especially in regards to the values that made the Declaration of Independence so powerful. The self-evident truths and how it's possible a nation could believe in them while also believing in slavery, oppressing women and so on. It also touches on whether or not we have lived up to said truths and so far I'm enjoying it. I've read another of Lepore's books, and I find her style and skill as a writer engaging and lively. Not dry at all, which is great for a book that's over 900 pages.

• Military Necessity and Civil Rights Policy: Black Citizenship and the Constitution, 1861–1868 by Mary Frances Berry - Less a book and more of a....study? An analysis? An argument? I'm not exactly sure what to call it but it's well written and informative. It's primarily about the views and opinions of white people in Colonial America regarding whether or not blacks, both free and enslaved, should serve in the military. It's also so much more than that. It talks about how the prevailing thoughts were that slaves were less than human, less than white people, and undeserving of citizenship, yet when times became desperate enough blacks could be granted their freedom and much more by proving valor in combat. It also touches on civil rights policies and I presume (like I said, I haven't finished it yet), will show that there was a correlation between when white people recognized the usefulness of blacks in the military and when they began passing laws giving blacks more and more freedoms. I expect to see the Civil War and how blacks fought there mentioned greatly, and to see the link forged and explored. Really fascinating stuff, I also like how Berry explores the concept of citizenship and its relation to military service.

Ranger176 t1_j9jmgna wrote

You might also enjoy Fighting for Citizenship: Black Northerners and the Debate Over Military Service in the Civil War by Brian Taylor. A study about the ambivalence that northern blacks felt when compelled to fight in the war.

GhostfaceChase t1_j9jvfo2 wrote

Yes, thank you, that looks exactly like something I need to read next! I think it’s very interesting looking at how minorities in America reacted to America’s wars and I imagine the Civil War being one of the biggest moments of differing opinions on that matter. I’m also aware that during the Vietnam War there was a huge movement of black people refusing to serve even when drafted, I suppose that’s something I’ll need to read up on too.

It also brings into question whether or not someone should have to serve in the military to be a citizen. The idea of not being able to truly take part in your country’s institutions/government/etc unless you’re willing to fight and die in wars you had no say in starting is..troubling. Interesting, but troubling.

elmonoenano t1_j9kdx6m wrote

I just heard a good interview with Taylor on The Rogue Historian podcast. They talked about the New Orleans Native Guard and explained what was really going on with it during the Confederacy, since it's often used as an example of Black Confederates.

panoplyofpoop t1_j9jwuja wrote

I'm also reading "the wars of reconstruction" which provides a more black centric viewpoint of all the challenges directly before and after emancipation. I feel like so much of the Civil War and wiring on slavery comes from the white viewpoint without considering the challenges individuals faced in the black community.

elmonoenano t1_j9ke9tk wrote

Kate Masur's book, Til Justice Done, is about the civil rights movement in the antebellum period and the Souths' constant reaching and imposition on Northern states really started to drive civil rights in the 1850s. A lot of states expanded citizenship to Black Americans during that period, that's part of what Dred Scott was about. States were also trying to force equal application of the privileges and immunities clause, etc. Ohio really did a 180 during the period and is an instructive example.