Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gradstudentcons t1_j9yydop wrote

Can anyone recommend reading material about the tactics and strategy of major historical socio-political movements like the suffragettes or civil rights movement?

For some context, I am a social scientist working on collective climate activism. I am interested in comparing the success of movements that have focused on winning public approval/disrupting the public for attention/disrupting structures of power. Would love to read some academic books or papers that discuss a) tactics/strategy, and b) public reactions.

bangdazap t1_ja0d8a8 wrote

I'd recommend Direct Action by James Tracy. It's about a group of radical American pacifists who met in prison camps where they were confined for refusing to serve during WWII. They were quite influential on the tactics of the antiwar and civil rights movement during the 50s and 60s.

MeatballDom t1_jab3b3f wrote

Radical Sisters by Anne Valk might be worthwhile, it's a bit late in the timeframe you presented, but, it presents a very interesting look at the divide and cooperation between feminist groups fighting for equality and black women wanting racial equality as well and how different groups approached this (e.g is it worth fighting for feminism when I can't even be black yet?)

Probably won't give you the answer you're looking for for your activism, but will provide some of the background on how groups wanting similar goals may group them differently in levels of importance. Brian Behnken's Fighting their own battles might be worthwhile too.