Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Pluto_and_Charon t1_iskluod wrote

Hey guys, looking for a history podcast recommendation. Mike Duncan's History of Rome was my first ever history podcast, I loved it and when that ended I switched straight to History of Byzantium and loved that even more. I've reached the end of that podcast so I am now 450 episodes deep into narrative history. The year is 1180 and I don't want to stop, I want to continue the story, in chronological order...

So I'm looking for a podcast I can binge that

1. is set in Europe or the Middle East

2. narrative format (e.g. year by year storytelling)

3. begins at OR includes the latter half of the 12th century (1150-1200 AD), so I can jump straight to where I left off

4. preferably follows a similar format to HoR/HoB - so, military history but also economic, social, religion etc

5. I actually preferred HoB's more academic approach - interviews with leading historians interspersed through the narrative, so if possible would love that

Any ideas?

jrhooo t1_islnkva wrote

I can't offer much in terms of your target time period, but if you like Duncan, and the narrative, chronological format, I'd highly recommend his Revolutions podcast.

England, US, France, so on and so on, in order pretty much, up to the USSR.

The best part is that he not covers them in order, but makes a point of discussing how they are intertwined. Which ones triggered or inspired others, how they relate, how some of them drew on lessons from the previous

Ayearinbooks t1_isnv6xj wrote

It's the other side of Europe from byzantium bur David Crowthers history of England is good. Same narrative format with lots or polticial/military but not ignoring social, economic etc. Some interviews with historians and guest spots but not loads.

You can start with episode 35 or so. Means you start with Henry II (crowned 1154) who is the first angevin king and pretty interesting/significant.

nanoman92 t1_isy788x wrote

If you want to stay with Byzantium, Totalus Rankium is currently in 1330, you can just pick up after Manuel's death. It's really good, but keep in mind that it's a comedy podcast and that in order to make it funnier they take primary sources at face value (although overall it's still pretty accurate, just not as nuanced as Robin's).

throuuavvay t1_isqj5sv wrote

The History of the Crusades podcast is pretty decent. Not as good as either Mike Duncan's stuff or HoB, but it has been very consistent and has already covered a ton of time. By now the narrative has shifted from the Middle East to the Reconquista period in the Iberian Peninsula and the Patreon extra episodes are currently on the Hussite Crusade.