Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Immortalbob t1_isgs1ly wrote

If there's anything Time Team taught me, it's that it'll just be a bunch of post holes since they mostly built with wood.

Ripheus-33 t1_isgsvrh wrote

True but it’s still a huge find since not much is known about the old anglo-saxons

kobylaz t1_isgtb1f wrote

And we’ve got 3 days to do it!

JensonInterceptor t1_isib01r wrote

We've got two primary trenches and Phil is just opening a third to Tey and discover where the grand mosaic floor would have been.

I always loved the artist section where he sketched a detailed building based on two post holes and some broken pottery

generalcarrots t1_isiiizn wrote

Victor was great, there’s a nice tribute to him on their yt channel.

thedudesews t1_isjm1zc wrote

Phil found some flint so he’s basically useless the rest of the day. We sent Stewart on a walk about. No reason, we just don’t like him.

kobylaz t1_isk9xd3 wrote

GEOFIZZ has found something interesting in the next field…

Saxon2060 t1_isjpybo wrote

Hmm, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the Venerable Bede or Asser of Wales or the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 🤔

I guess "not much" is a vague statement that I might be massively misconstruing but there's masses of contemporary record of the Anglo-Saxons. They write extensively about themselves, they loved it, Anglo-Saxon England was a centre of wealth and learning.

Ripheus-33 t1_iskjm3a wrote

Apologies I should’ve been more specific. By not much I meant in terms of info on the Anglo-Saxon religion and mythology which was abolished by the Christians.

Fofolito t1_isk3znj wrote

*not much we know about them from physical medium. The archeological record of England generally goes Neolithic -> Roman -> ???? -> Norman. Any find that fills in that time between the retreat of the legions and the invasion of the Normans is of critical importance

Doctor_Impossible_ t1_iskg29g wrote

>The archeological record of England generally goes Neolithic -> Roman -> ???? -> Norman.

I think not.

TylerInHiFi t1_iskt6ay wrote

It still pales in comparison to the record keeping of Roman Britain that preceded them, though. And I think that’s the point. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle is an excellent resource, but it’s far from an exhaustive history compared to the records that exist for the eras before and after it. You go from obsessive Roman record keeping to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle to Domesday, basically. You’ve got a story book nestled between two spreadsheets.

EDIT: Please keep in mind I’m painting with the broadest strokes possible and the reality of things is not so cut-and-dried.

Emalus t1_ish6kfn wrote

That’s Phil Harding’s music!!

Scr1mmyBingus t1_ishf07w wrote

“Nice bit of Samian ware in that trench.”

pmp22 t1_ishkmin wrote

..said Phil never. ;) A peace of flint on the other hand, now that's a certified "ooh aah"-moment.

PuerhRichard t1_isjigmh wrote

Interesting. I read I. The book American Nations that the English settlers built houses with wood while the Germans used stone.

−1

Wretched_Brittunculi t1_isij413 wrote

Hey, English food might be bad, but I suggest you try post-hole stew before knocking it.

−23