Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheGreatPiata t1_iu4f5ml wrote

I grew up on the Northern shores of Lake Superior. It never gets warm. Ever.

As far as lakes go, I've always felt it had an unforgiving presence. Probably because you often can't see the other side of it but also because it can get incredible rough on a stormy day.

turtmcgirt t1_iu4iciy wrote

Southern shore we get a week or two a summer of nice water but you never know when

rmorrin t1_iu4q5bu wrote

That's Ashland county and bayfield county right? I hear y'all got snow already.

spdougherty t1_iu4vu31 wrote

Jeez, they got snow already and it’s been 70 degrees in PA. The world is ending.

[deleted] t1_iu4zwee wrote

[deleted]

spdougherty t1_iu7ezkz wrote

I love that smell and I can’t wait til I have it regularly. I’m a big fan of PA winter when it’s snowy but still nice with a few jackets on.

rmorrin t1_iu4x3jd wrote

Naw just getting far more climate crazy. The world will be FINE. humans tho? Maybe not so much

alabasterwilliams t1_iu5ae5t wrote

Something like 8 inches, didn’t last though.

It was quite beautiful!

spdougherty t1_iu7f3bt wrote

That’s what she said.... sorry I hate these jokes but it was irresistible

turtmcgirt t1_iu5mmgp wrote

Douglas Co. snow has fallen a few times but the grounds too warm for accumulation yet

alabasterwilliams t1_iu5ajs2 wrote

Imma shout out Big Pete Road, Twin Falls and the mighty sandstone boulder that rocks back and forth with the waves.

You familiar?

turtmcgirt t1_iu5miv2 wrote

Nope i grew up in Superior where the SS Meteor is been on it more times than I can count

alabasterwilliams t1_iu6xu0i wrote

Turt, my dude, get yourself to Port Wing and soak up some of that sandstone laden south shore goodness.

Make a day trip and hit up the Delta Diner, best gahtdang Jalapeño Pancakes this side of Pasadena.

DirectlyDisturbed t1_iu4lbnc wrote

I went kayaking on Superior off the coast of Wisconsin to the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's UP a few years ago. The water was freakishly warm, something like 67-68 degrees. It was kind of eerie but really nice for a kayak trip

AdviceNotAskedFor t1_iu4nffk wrote

While it never gets warm, you will get days when the top water blows in and makes it swimmable. I grew up in Duluth and have swam in soup many times.

StatOne t1_iu6ej1x wrote

I met a funny, and interesting business associate at Management retreat; he was a 'boat person' and loved his time out on the lake. He had a swift power boat, that he loved taking ladies out for a spin, and a favoriate path to another shores fancy resturant. His last trip, he put on full power, arched out just a bit further, and turned for his distination .... which he didn't arrive at; he cut power, headed further South and opened it up again... nothing! He turned back West, and puttered along as fog rolled in. Thankfully, a mid size schoner came by, which he hoped was heading back to the port he had left. He had just enough gas to make it back. He could not figure up how he ended up so deep out in the more center of the lake. He said, "the lake just felt different that night", and glad he avoided being one of the mysterious missing boats that sometimes happens.

rmorrin t1_iu4q2kq wrote

Hey man it'll get to like 70-80f in the first six feet on a 100°F day! Otherwise yes. I lived around lake superior nearly all my life and I have a sister who would regularly get nose bleeds from the huge temp swing in the levels of water.