Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lumi61210 t1_iyyrjcf wrote

May I recommend the McCracken Research Library at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West for anything related to Yellowstone. Worth an in person visit if you're really interested in these topics. https://centerofthewest.org/research/mccracken-research-library/

I grew up in the town directly east of the park and the museum there is Smithsonian grade.

dittybopper_05H t1_iz02xan wrote

The Cody Firearms Museum which is part of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is a top-notch firearms museum too. Not really related to OP's question, but the admission to BBCotW is with it just for that.

Also, plan for two days at the BBCotW. The admission covers two days, and it takes nearly that to appreciate all of it. You could get there right as they open and stay until closing and see everything, but it's better to break it up.

BTW, I know the park archaeologist. I once asked her about her research, and the sad truth is her job is taken up mainly by digging test pits near proposed construction or infrastructure upgrades in the park, and subsequently writing reports about it.

On the plus side, though, she sees this kind of stuff every day. I literally took those pics right outside of her office.

Taiza67 t1_iz07cmk wrote

Their founder/curator Phil has done wonderful work with the McCracken research library.

Misuzuzu t1_iz0bfkf wrote

How does it compare with the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian? I was actually a little disappointed by it when I visited, most artifacts on display there had no extra info, so I ended up using google lens.