Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pleasureboat t1_izgwldb wrote

The sea peoples were almost definitely all Mediterranean and very likely mostly Greek.

However, looking beyond the Mediterranean for causes of the collapse is certainly a good idea. The collapse certainly involved a breakdown of the bronze trade, whose ingredients were sourced in large part from northern Europe. If migrations cut off those trade routes, it could certainly be a contributing factor.

Gideonn1021 OP t1_izh1aux wrote

I just feel people talk about a chain of events occurring in the Mediterranean, but there aren't nearly as many answers for what caused the migration and incursions from the North into the Mediterranean. I got suspicious however after seeing there were relics from Europe that indicated the potential for a massive shift in culture in the region, preceding as well as at the same time the collapse of the Bronze age was put in motion, it's an interesting coincidence to me

CallFromMargin t1_izhyt71 wrote

It's a mystery. But research suggest that on early stages both a period of bad climate (which lead to food shortage) and earthquicks (which destroyed cities) were responsible. Wars followed that.

HappyHipo t1_izhcjq7 wrote

They were mostly sourced from Cyprus and Syria If I recall correctly?

War_Hymn t1_izk75op wrote

The major sources appeared to be Central Asia (Afghanistan/ Uzbekistan), with maybe large scale mining and trade of it from Britannia and Iberia.

There were a bunch of smaller mining operations scattered about the eastern Medditerrean region, but those sources were quickly exhausted.