Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tafinucane t1_izokgu5 wrote

In this discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRhAVBvfUs&t=482s

The writer claims US Army intelligence responded to rumors Japanese soldiers were issued opium-laced cigarettes. The video shows examples of packs of cigarettes stamped with markers showing they'd been investigated.

WhittlingDan t1_izp1ife wrote

My dad told me that when he was in Vietnam you could buy a metal tin or cloth wrapped package of 50 or 100 joints for $1 American money. They were sold predominantly as just "marijuana" but most of the time were also dipped in opium. Supposedly it was meant to addict the soldiers but the vast majority of the soldiers already new they had opium in them and were more than happy to use those instead. The war was brutal and many of the soldiers on the front were forced to go and taken from the poorest and most disadvantaged in society. If politicians want to send us to war then their children or at least one of their children and at least one child (blood for both to avoid adoption schemes) from every rich family should be sent to the front lines (enlisted combat roles, no officer positions) before there is ever a draft. Even without a draft I feel that politicians who vote for war need more skin in the game, something personal.