Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jedrevolutia t1_izvmm7t wrote

TIL that Philadelphia was named after an Egyptian city, just like Memphis.

Abba_Fiskbullar t1_izw3yyt wrote

There were other Philadelphias. I think Philadelphia PA is named after the Greek/Roman city now named Alasehir in Turkey, or what's now Amman Jordan.

jedrevolutia t1_izw8nci wrote

Yes, besides the famous one in Pennsylvania, there are also Philadelphia in Illinois, New York, Indiana, Tennessee, and Mississippi.

pgm123 t1_izwx6u1 wrote

Some of these are named after the Pennsylvania city.

Attor115 t1_izw1fgk wrote

I wonder now if it was named after the city or just because it’s Greek for “brotherly love” and PA was founded by Quakers. Maybe both.

jedrevolutia t1_izw8rzk wrote

Well, there was also a Turkish city named Philadelphia in the Bible.

Revelation 3:7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens: 

pgm123 t1_izwxce4 wrote

That's not Turkish, btw. I believe it is modern-day Amman.

jedrevolutia t1_izxbjro wrote

That's also another city called Philadelphia that is now becoming Amman, Jordan.

The one in the Bible is now named Alaşehir and is part of Turkiye. Try googling Alaşehir.

pgm123 t1_izxbzmx wrote

Apologies. I stand corrected. I shouldn't try to do things off the top of my head before coffee.

The Greeks/Macedonian Greeks really weren't creative with names, were they? All the Philadelphias and Alexandrias make things confusing. It's a shame it couldn't have kept its name into the early modern period. I would be curious what the Turkified version of Philadelphia would be.