Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GMUsername t1_j4py3i9 wrote

Good read. Recently visited the MLK museum and there were mentions of Muslim slaves, but nothing dived into more detail.

I hope the museum expands more on this and maybe has a special exhibit on it, I would love to learn more.

One thing that especially stuck out was that some churches in Georgia had been built to face East, which may have indicated that they were praying in the direction of Mecca, as Muslims still do today

missannthrope1 t1_j4rla0t wrote

The first non-indigenous person to set foot on what is now Texas Arizona and New Mexico was a black. Muslim slave called Esteban de Dorantes.

−3

FoolInTheDesert t1_j4s9ace wrote

Estevan was most definitely a Christian/catholic convert before arriving in the New World.

missannthrope1 t1_j4tscl9 wrote

Did he convert, or was he converted?

The article cited does not equiviate. If slave were Muslim, brought to the US, they were still Muslim.

−5

Skildundfreund t1_j4tvkea wrote

So if you dont know, why are you claiming he was muslim?

missannthrope1 t1_j4wbf7c wrote

Because of this book.

Crossing the Continent 1527-1540: The Story of the First African-American Explorer of the American South, by Robert Goodwin.

Patient_Language_804 t1_j4sls5v wrote

You are actually in correct he was born a muslim but converted to christianity.

missannthrope1 t1_j4ts2s4 wrote

Did he convert, or was he converted? There's no way of knowing how devout he was in either religion, or if he was religious at all.

−4

[deleted] t1_j4twb5s wrote

[deleted]

missannthrope1 t1_j4w9uk3 wrote

Much of Africa was Islamic at the time, as this article clearly points out. Plus that he was born in Africa, then taken as a slave is pure conjecture He could have been born in Morocco to black Muslim slaves. He spoke Arabic, so a Muslim connection is clear.

ScientificHope t1_j4vygf5 wrote

Then why do you continue to affirm he was?

missannthrope1 t1_j4w8lgm wrote

Because I read the book, Crossing the Continent 1527-1540: The Story of the First African-American Explorer of the American South, by Robert Goodwin who explains very clearly how the slave trade worked in the 16th century.

I've also done an enormous amount of research for a project on which I am working.

What are your bona fides?

[deleted] t1_j4tw24h wrote

[deleted]

missannthrope1 t1_j4wb8p2 wrote

True. Ponce de Leon and other explorers had blacks with them. Juan Garrido for one. There is also evidence of Africans in the New World before Columbus.

My point is Esteban was the first known African in these three American states. He survived incredible harsh conditions. His contribution to history is not well known at all.