Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dropbear123 t1_j5uoiib wrote

I've decided to try and clear out some of my spy history books as I've had some for years now.

Finished Hitler's Secret War: The Nazi Espionage Campaigns Against the Allies by Charles Whiting which was only £1 but I'm still annoyed about it.

>2/5 not worth reading due to poor sourcing. Feel like I've wasted my time. Writing style is ok I guess. The main problem is the sources, there is only a 1 page bibliography mostly of books from the 1960s and 70s (the book came out in 2000). The author relies a lot on interviews with the people involved but there is no proper notes or anything so it would be hard to verify. There is quite a few mentions of Canaris being homosexual but I can't seem to find anything about this online, which alone makes me doubt a lot of this book.

Yesterday I finished Agent Sonya: The True Story of WWII's Most Extraordinary Spy by Ben Macinytre Not a copy and paste review for once.

4.5/5 stars I really liked it and would recommend it. About a Jewish German woman who became a communist spy in the 1930s+40s and operated in China, Poland, Switzerland and the UK. Her biggest achievement was transmitting/transferring the British nuclear secrets stolen by Klaus Fuchs to the Soviets during WWII. In the end she got away with it but had to flee to East Germany where she became a children's author and survived the Cold War. The book is very well written and enjoyable to read.

This is just my opinion but the book was better than Double Cross and Agent Zigag, as good as The Spy and The Traitor but not as good as Operation Mincemeat or A Spy Among Friends all by the same author.

I've started but I think I'm going to give up on Trinity: The Treachery and Pursuit of the Most Dangerous Spy in History by Frank Close about Klaus Fuchs. It's just a bit too in-depth for me, especially on physics and how nuclear science works.

WithAnAxe t1_j65ez8d wrote

I also enjoyed Agent Sonya! All of Macintyre’s books are, IMO, fantastic but to me this one told the most interesting story.