Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Bonesmash t1_j5z81kw wrote

While you’re probably correct, I have seen other absurdly long swords in museums before and the explanation was that they were really used more like spears. Seems like they would have been really heavy though.

danteheehaw t1_j60lx0h wrote

Good steel weapons are not as heavy as you'd think, because you can make a high quality steel fairly thin and strong. Japanese steel was extremely hard and rigid and armor was rare, so it being "brittle" (compared to soft steels) wasn't a problem.

As long as you're not swinging it like a sword a metal rod, or blade, won't feel much heavier than a quality staff or polear..

That being said, making a long ass sword to use as a spear instead of just making a spear would be weird as hell, and I could only see it being done as some dick swinging contest.

birdmantis420 t1_j60n5oc wrote

You’re not wrong, but this article is about specifically Japanese swords, and I’ve not heard of them being used as spears in Japanese warfare, as someone else pointed out, this one was possibly left to ward off evil spirits, meaning it was a show piece no matter what, not meant to be wielded