Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

toffeecatboy OP t1_jaegv0n wrote

Yeah, I have everything turned off, but I believe quick start doesn't require iCloud backup, right?

gcerullo t1_jaehq7q wrote

Correct, Quick Start does not use iCloud backup. The whole point of Quick Start is to transfer the data directly from one phone to the other.

Anyway, as for the Apple ID, just log out of the shared Apple ID before starting Quick Start and once the new iPhone is set up just log in to your new Apple ID.

Now since you are getting your own separate Apple ID you will have to get all the apps all over again including purchasing any that were previously purchased since apps aren’t transferred during Quick Start set up.

toffeecatboy OP t1_jaei644 wrote

Wow I didn't think of that! Tysm. I suppose the only thing I would lose would be Apple Music library associated with the ID. Is there anything else you can think of that I might lose?

gcerullo t1_jaeixnl wrote

You don’t have to lose access to Apple Music or the previously purchased apps. All you need to do is create a Family Sharing group. All members of a Family Sharing group can share purchases and things like Apple Music subscriptions and you don’t lose any privacy since each Apple ID is separate.

Everyone in the family should have there own Apple ID and they should be joined together as a Family Sharing group to share purchases and subscriptions to thing like Apple Music.

https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/