Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ONE_BIG_LOAD t1_jdwxe07 wrote

Woah that's cool stuff. I have an app on my phone that tells my current charging stats so I'll let my phone drop down to 5% or so today and see how many watts it's pulling.

At lower battery it really is fast I can leave it on for 5-10 minutes and be back upto 50% after that it starts to charge a bit slower.

BTW I've never owned an iPhone but I like to stay educated... How long do the latest iPhones take to charge? 10W sounds like nothing but I also believe iPhones have significantly smaller batteries/better optimization than Androids.

stpfun t1_je13dpj wrote

in my experience iPhones take ~90 minutes to fully charge, but similarly to your experience they charge up to the first 50% much faster with a faster charger, though more like 30 minutes instead of 5-10. (I'm jealous!)

And you're right that it seems like they have smaller batteries! Like my non-large iPhone 14 pro has a 12.38Wh battery but it lasts all day easily. Never thought about it before but this must mean that Apple's chips/software just pull less energy. (also I was wrong before, if a 12.38Wh battery takes 90 minutes to fully charge then it's average charging rate is only 8W, even lower than the 10W-12W I guessed!)