Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RegularFinger8 t1_iua4g8r wrote

Apple can thank young girls getting their first phones for their continued success. The vast majority of girls in the USA have iPhones which means that is their first phones. Boys follow suit to avoid being “green bubble boy” in iMessages. The cycle repeats as they get older and sustains itself as young girls get their first iPhones.

−22

kickstand t1_iuaiqx0 wrote

In other words: young consumers prefer iPhones.

more_beans_mrtaggart t1_iuaokqk wrote

There was a post recently about people moving between android and iOS.

A far lower % move from Apple to android.

chasevalentino t1_iucl7ln wrote

Because you're locked in

more_beans_mrtaggart t1_iucmr78 wrote

Mentally, for sure. I’d say iOS is more intuitive. Android is a great OS too, and runs on almost anything.

We’re very lucky to have two really good phone OS products to choose from.

Back in the day it was Nokia, Ericsson or some shitty product from Microsoft.

chasevalentino t1_iuco2xo wrote

Honestly they are so close and do literally the exact same things AND most importantly just portals for people to use their favourite apps that it really doesn't matter what either is.

It's just easier to keep using whatever someone's been using for years beforehand

more_beans_mrtaggart t1_iucooci wrote

I’d say you can get hooked in to the Apple brand more because of the AirPods and communications between the laptop, phone and watch. Eg the watch unlocks the laptop, and seamlessly moving a call between all three devices without thinking about it.

[deleted] t1_iuaxuhv wrote

[deleted]

RegularFinger8 t1_iubumhz wrote

You’re telling me that a young teen picks an iPhone because of their quality and longevity? Like they researched it? Lol. For real?

And even apple knows that the color of the chat bubbles matters and it how it locks people (teens) into the ecosystem. It’s also the reason they will not open up iMessages to Android. It’s a fact.

tta82 t1_iuc358n wrote

The majority of buyers is not young. You’re not wrong that they care about the bubble etc, but the buying power is with the 20-40 year old people, not teenagers.

RegularFinger8 t1_iue0fe2 wrote

Not sure what you’re referring to with “buying power” but that age group would be the parents of those teens. So even if they are paying they would be buying the devices the teens wanted.

tta82 t1_iuc32wf wrote

You’re very wrong about the color of the chat bubble. It’s the main reason for Google to push Apple to adopt a standard because they’re losing so many users to Apple because of iMessage.

Most_moosest t1_iuclbvp wrote

>People buy them for their performance and longevity.

I doubt it. People buy them because of their reputation and because their friends have them too. Especially in the US.

I bet your typical iPhone used doesn't even know what resolution their display is.