Submitted by upside_down_chair t3_yfkjn9 in iphone

I live in Canada and travel to the US a lot. I've decided I should get a pre-paid account in the US instead of paying my carrier's exorbitant roaming rates. I was going to buy a T-Mobile SIM but then I thought about a digital IMEI. I'm not sure I fully understand how they work.

Essentially, I want to shut off my home carrier which uses my physical SIM card while I'm in the US and only use the eSIM? I have an iPhone SE 2020. AFAIK, it works with dual SIM.

Is it possible to put my home number in airplane mode so that it still works when I'm on WiFi but leave the eSIM connected to the US carrier? I don't want my home SIM to ever connect in roaming mode while I'm in the US.

One thing that concerns me is this part in the support doc https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044:

"By default, your iPhone will use the same number that you used the last time you called that contact"

This is what I *don't* want to happen. I want to use my contacts but use my eSIM number when I make a call in the US.

Am I better of just buying a physical SIM and replacing the one in my phone while I'm in the US?

TIA.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

coffeeisnotlatte t1_iu3x6wu wrote

You’re fine, just turn your physical sim off. I have a physical and esim and usually turn the physical one off (it’s got 5GB of free data, would be helpful if my iPhone ever broke for example)

Everything will go through your esim then as if it’s the only sim

upside_down_chair OP t1_iu4gvx9 wrote

Cool thanks. I installed Dent and can’t believe how easy it is. I love the flexibility in buying data as I need it. I wish I had known about this earlier.

SnooPears4546 t1_iu4ei0n wrote

It won’t connect using the old number if it’s off. It will just say that this number is no longer available and do you want to use another number. I do what you’re describing all the time when traveling.

SuckMyHickory t1_iu4qj9p wrote

Can you still do Wi-Fi calling with your domestic number abroad? I’ve never actually checked.

SnooPears4546 t1_iu4xy2e wrote

Yes but it’s treated just like as if you roamed on your line. But with my large US carrier, it does work.

Pizzastevee t1_iu43tkr wrote

You can use esim only and have an American phone number

upside_down_chair OP t1_iu4h76r wrote

I would have to use a U.S. carrier like T Mobile to get a phone number, correct? As opposed to an esim app like Dent.

Moryaanka t1_iu4e3ml wrote

Canadian working between Canada and US using Cricket. Which iPhone is best for me and gives me applecare. The Canadian or the US version.