Submitted by TheHunter920 t3_z6lawl in iphone

Samsung has already had reverse-wireless charging since the S10 in 2019. It's nearly 2023 and Apple still hasn't implemented reverse-wireless charging yet. There were some rumors years ago about the iPhone 12 lineup having reverse-charging capabilities, but even if true Apple needs to make it actually work.

Are there any predictions when and if it will come out anytime soon?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

infinityandbeyond75 t1_iy20src wrote

I’ve never been in a situation where I was in such desperate need to charge another device that this would have come in handy.

kaclk t1_iy1zy4m wrote

It’s a niche feature even in Android phones. Probably never.

rootshirt t1_iy20scv wrote

Agreed. It’s a cool feature absolutely, but definitely not one the vast majority of people ever use or are clamoring for

Kenitzka t1_iy2322p wrote

It’s essentially a software change. All models that can be charge wirelessly have the hardware to charge other phones wirelessly.

It’s just not practical. Charge your own damned phone people. Need to reach out and call someone? What number do you need me dial, and make it quick.

weird_little_idiot t1_iy4l60j wrote

Correct me if I'm wrong but even iPhone can charge apples own external battery?

TWYFAN97 t1_iy203iw wrote

I doubt it will ever fully come to iPhone. The reality is most people don’t know about it or wouldn’t use it to begin with. Think about it what are you really gonna use with it? It can be used to charge some smartwatches that can already last a full day if not more on a charge, earbuds also last for a long time and charging another smartphone is silly and painfully slow.

So no I doubt it will ever come and most won’t care if it does because it’s honestly a gimmicky feature that’s essentially a cool party trick. Oh and to clarify since the iPhone 12 reverse wireless charging tech has already been present and in use, for example when using a MagSafe battery pack and it’s attached to the phone if you plug the cable directly into the iPhone the phone will charge first then the phone will wirelessly charge the MagSafe battery pack.

CatDaddyJudeClaw t1_iy22g2o wrote

You’re right, iPhones have had reverse wireless charging since the iPhone 12. Only charges the MagSafe Battery Pack when the phone is plugged in via Lightning

newecreator t1_iy24wzp wrote

iPhones with MagSafe technically have reverse wireless charging but only to the MagSafe Battery Pack while the iPhone is plugged in to wired charging.

OhSixTJ t1_iy2a3go wrote

People who don’t prepare for being away from a charger are irresponsible. Charge your phones!

Upbeat_Foot_7412 t1_iy4ctx4 wrote

Funny thing is that the newer iPhone actually have the hardware for reverse wireless charging.