Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Business-Parsnip-939 t1_ixl2cqh wrote

maybe you should accidentally break your leg to test out how fast the response time is!

SurfaceLapQuestion OP t1_ixl2ert wrote

I’ll get right on it 😂

CyCoCyCo t1_ixlo6no wrote

Make sure you only do it for 126 hours though, because you know what you’re supposed to do at 127 hours …. :p

Cotcho t1_ixlv56h wrote

I mean according to this documentary I saw. Making sure to break your leg enough that it comes through the skin, whilst impacting stability has no real impact on pain. I think it was called Scary Movie.

Dudeicorn t1_ixloi27 wrote

As someone who accidentally broke their leg in the Colorado mountains, I’m not sure I’d recommend it. 😅 you do get to try some top notch narcotics and you get a cool story out of it though, which is neat I suppose. (Thankfully, I was in cell reception and SAR was able to get to me pretty quick.)

dajack60585 t1_ixlso6w wrote

So what’s the downside?

Dudeicorn t1_ixlt2c7 wrote

Being kicked out of r/neverbrokeabone. Also medical debt. But mostly the former.

fr0nksen t1_ixmwmqp wrote

Medical debt in the EU is kindof hard to aquire if you‘re an EU citizen. Apart from that, when will this feature come to Germany?

Dudeicorn t1_ixmxglv wrote

Depends on who you vote for. Stay optimistic and maybe it’ll come to you soon!

fr0nksen t1_ixmxr92 wrote

How has my voting preference anything to do with the fact when a US company will release a feature for a foreign Region?

Dudeicorn t1_ixmyztz wrote

Oh, I thought medical debt was the feature you were looking for. I have no answers for you as far as iPhones go, my friend.

stoickthevast88 t1_ixlq9rl wrote

Just make sure if you’re not on federal land to had SR insurance which is pretty cheap and will pay for the heavy search and rescue bill

USWC t1_ixmp2zi wrote

That's not true, at least in the western US. Source: Me. 12 years running SAR missions in the western US. In CA and western mountain states, SAR rescues are free whether you are on federal, state or even private land. They are conducted by county sheriff SAR teams, state and federal rangers, and various military national guard units (and coast guard).

There are VERY rare exceptions for persons committing major felonies at the time. You will likely incur medical bills once handed off to private medical providers as you would if you suffered an injury at home.

stoickthevast88 t1_ixmqhok wrote

I guess it varies state to state and if you’re in an area the state can choose to collect decides to do so or not.

Europa13 t1_ixlemon wrote

I tested it a Zion NP last weekend. The service is free for two years, which includes uploading your location via satellite. It only allows you to do it every 15 minutes. When you see the satellite symbol (which appears when you have no cellular signal), go to the Find My app and select “send my location via satellite.” Anyone who shares location with you will then be able to see where you are along with a note that the location was updated via satellite since you have no cellular signal. It took ~28 seconds each time to connect to the satellite and send the location. It guides you to (slightly) move the phone to stay locked onto the satellite as it’s sending.

bottom t1_ixm1kza wrote

Having used a satellite phone a lot times, vary greatly with connections to satellites, depending on where you are and availability of them and weather conditions. It’s a great feature to have though. Lifesaving.

kan84 t1_ixmbmzy wrote

Is location sharing auto upload or you have to do it manually ?

Europa13 t1_ixmlu0z wrote

Location is only automatic when you have a cell signal. When you upload it manually via satellite, it will show them how many minutes ago you las sent it (since it only lets you do it every 15 minutes).

superbario-64 t1_ixl32qj wrote

You pretending you have a tesla?

Kynch t1_ixlblv2 wrote

#Humblebrag

chopyhop t1_ixlebez wrote

They are at highschool according to previous posts, so in this case, probably not.

stratosauce t1_ixn6nlb wrote

Owning a Tesla is not a humble brag, but rather a showcase of poor financial decision making skills

−9

catsagamer1 t1_ixn8k56 wrote

How is it a showcase of poor financial decisions?

segosmix t1_ixsde11 wrote

“You might have this feature one day, we don’t really know. Wanna buy the possibility of maybe having the feature?”

“Sure! Here you have my ten thousand dollars”

stratosauce t1_ixnitkx wrote

Teslas are all surface level compared to other EVs that are now on the market, not to mention how they were found guilty of cutting corners like crazy during the pandemic

All around they’re just subpar cars sold for at an overpriced rate

I probably should’ve expected this response from r/iPhone lmao, exact same target market

−2

NamareNA t1_ixlcdxl wrote

He has one, just has no service to connect to it

jonjiv t1_ixm0xfh wrote

Yeah I don’t think you can create a widget like this with the app without logging in - which means either you or someone who trusts you with control of their vehicle has a Tesla.

With someone’s log in information, you can track the vehicle’s location, mess around with the cabin temperature, roll the windows up and down, control the music, remotely control the parked vehicle if nearby, and even reduce the top speed of the car all the way down to 50 mph. So, I don’t even let good friends who drive my car a lot have my log in because the temptation to prank is too strong.

−28

superbario-64 t1_ixmrpyc wrote

Just tried…you can.

jonjiv t1_ixnuwhg wrote

Ah it defaults to the red Model 3 even without a log in?

superbario-64 t1_ixnv9bb wrote

Yeah.

jonjiv t1_ixnvmid wrote

Welp. Guess I was wrong lol. Back when I first downloaded the app, it wouldn’t let me do anything without logging in, but the widget is new since then.

MawsonAntarctica t1_ixm57xj wrote

If I see a youtuber reviewing a device and they show their phone and a Tesla app is on the front page of apps I know immediately that this review isn't for me.

BigBoobsMakeMeHappy t1_ixlbyte wrote

Does that mean you are connected to a satellite or it’s just showing that since you have no data, you have the option to connect to a satellite?

SurfaceLapQuestion OP t1_ixldk2j wrote

I believe that it shows it when there is no service, but it sees a satellite. When we drove under trees we still had no service, but the icon went away.

BigBoobsMakeMeHappy t1_ixlepg0 wrote

Oh that’s super helpful! This would have been extremely helpful for us when we were driving cross country in the states and blew our tire in the middle of no where. We had to wait overnight to get help from a random person going by. It was hell.

heepofsheep t1_ixnz8y0 wrote

I’m not sure about that. I saw the satellite symbol last week when I was in a subway tunnel.

tmrrsn114 t1_ixlqkaq wrote

I forgot to turn off airplane mode on my flight yesterday, and this same icon showed up for me

drfrink85 t1_ixlcs4s wrote

My first thought was it looked like a shakeweight, then I read the comments and saw it was a satellite. Totally makes more sense!

nopestillgotit t1_ixmclp3 wrote

100% didn’t crop out the widget to flex his tesla lol

set4bet t1_ixlkv61 wrote

This service is actually useful. Even then though I can't shake the feeling that more and more we get these non-feature features which serve more as a clever marketing and dopamine hit. Like you see that 5G icon and you feel great even though you don't really need it or would notice if it was just a fake icon with 4G speeds behind it. Now you can see the satellite icon that makes you feel great. I wonder how many more of these kind of upgrades are ahead of us. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded though. Again this service actually has a merit I get that.

Onlycardleft t1_ixm500z wrote

I purchase the new Garmin Inreach Mini about 2 months ago. It is $400. A year of service is +/- $125 for the cheapest plan. There is little cell service in my local National park. I can send text messages and my location with accuracy and reliability to a friend. I have not had reason to contact emergency services, but I don’t doubt that it will work just as well.

The main advantages of the Garmin over an iPhone is that the Garmin is bombproof, and it has 10 days of battery life. It has survived impacts, scratches, and exposure that would kill my phone . It’s a really tough piece of hardware. I clip it to the outside of my pack and forget about it. I have been to some rugged places in adverse weather with it clipped on the outside of my pack.

I love the iOS interface, Apple iPhones and iPads. if Apple makes an iPhone with similar ruggedness and battery life, that would be my preference. Until then…

BoldInterrobang t1_ixmd9si wrote

The advantage for most with iPhone is that it’s with you. I’ve heard many that have Garmins talk about how often they could have used them when they were left at home or service was inactive. It’s all about trade offs.

kindofageek t1_ixmdi9a wrote

Did you get the Mini or the new Mini 2? I love my Mini. Since it’s already getting paid for I keep it in the car with me at all times. If I pull over to do some fishing I have some extra backup if something goes wrong.

Onlycardleft t1_ixn2m87 wrote

Have the new “mini2”. It has better battery life. I didn’t want to spend the money, but I think it was a group decision.

kindofageek t1_ixnn7mx wrote

I’ve been wanting to sell my Garmin Fenix 5 watch and upgrade to the newer model. Might have to think about the same with the Mini if it has better battery. I do like that it can work with the new dedicated messaging app.

Onlycardleft t1_ixnt1wh wrote

Battery life is about 10 days with minimized settings and an unobstructed view of the sky. I wore it on my pack for a climb of Shuksan, and used about 10%. It also has better satellite connectivity than the Mini1. And it seems very durable in an outside environment. I did not feel like I had to baby it. Just set it and forget it. (I have shattered phone screens in my living room and broken a camera on my first use of it, before I even took it out of my backpack.) and it works with the Garmin messaging app. Text messages from your phone to the M2 are seamless. However the messaging software on the M2 itself is terrible. The software interface for the system settings is also aweful. But you can do a lot of it on your cell phone. You really need a cell phone to get 100% use of the Mini.

kindofageek t1_ixnx9l4 wrote

Yeah I use the three pre-set messages frequently, but anything more than that I use the Earthmate app for messaging.

aussie_jason t1_ixmu84j wrote

Also the Garmin devices allow you to send & receive SMS through their gateway so you can give updates to friends/family, receive any urgent messages while off grid like medical emergencies with friends/family & also communicate about things that aren’t life endangering but are still emergencies.

I hope Apple adds that capability soon but I would still use my Garmin InReach Explorer+ as primary with my iPhone as backup.

Idiotforrent t1_ixl64vm wrote

Well shit, now The Shining is an anachronism.

DisastrousNebula- t1_ixm18np wrote

I always see it inside my office because I have poor service. Lol

thr33pw00d t1_ixlfx8t wrote

I need this wallpaper

Solkre t1_ixml2bo wrote

So cool to see this! "Hehe I'm in danger!"

Also, how Pissy would they be if you tested it to say Hi to the person on the other side?

pacwess t1_ixmlt8m wrote

Apple is a genius at useful features that most Apple consumers will never need.
What's the cost after the first two years?
Will you be able to start/stop it as many now do with their online streaming to avoid paying a full year's worth?

panthereal t1_ixmmpmg wrote

How far west was it? I haven't seen the satellite yet just SOS here.

Granted you look like you're driving much cooler places than me with that Tesla pictured on your phone.

SurfaceLapQuestion OP t1_ixnf8vl wrote

This was taken in Conifer Colorado, about an hour away from Denver. The Tesla is back in Chicago where I live sadly.

N2TheBlu t1_ixnnd80 wrote

Sad you live in Chicago, or sad the car was left behind?

SurfaceLapQuestion OP t1_ixnnkpu wrote

Sadly the Tesla is in Chicago. It would be the perfect mountain car because of how heavy it is.

rockdangelo99 t1_ixmqm7h wrote

I saw in the mean streets of Detroit. Lol Got to close to the Detroit River and lost service for a second. Was really surprised to see the icon pop up so quick.

MidKnight007 t1_ixmqw9a wrote

Me seeing that 5 miles outta town lol

mk4dildo t1_ixmxub6 wrote

I see a lot of IUD mobiles in Colorado.

[deleted] t1_ixngk3p wrote

[deleted]

SurfaceLapQuestion OP t1_ixngqc2 wrote

It kinda just shows the default when it’s not connected to Wi-Fi or cell. The car doesn’t actually look like that.

fiatars t1_ixnmh3e wrote

I get that in NYC subway every day. Gotta love T-Mobile.

iWeaverOS t1_ixnpv2g wrote

Saw that in Cripple Creek visit too!

PercMastaFTW t1_ixnt5tq wrote

It was cool to see when my county's network completely dropped for hours...

locololus t1_ixoddkv wrote

Wait did your phone just become a satellite phone?

Housto_0 t1_ixot4a3 wrote

I’ve been having serious service issues with my 14 pro. Not happy with this ESIM so far.

jonkss2 t1_ixqvthq wrote

So what happens after two years? How much to continue with the service.

Raiiny00 t1_ixodu50 wrote

This is such a game changer for real. I do a ton of hiking in the Colorado mountains. While service has come a long way, there are still a ton of dead areas.

SurfaceLapQuestion OP t1_ixohpay wrote

I’m up in Conifer staying at the top of the mountain and service here is abysmal

Raiiny00 t1_ixpoi4i wrote

Yeah it is really hit and miss. I have service in the top of mt bierstadt lol. Not sure who you have but I use T-Mobile.

Bucknubby t1_ixlvq8j wrote

You also see it when you’re not on airplane mode in the air. No big deal.

−1

[deleted] t1_ixlp4wt wrote

[deleted]

−3

dyslexicsuntied t1_ixlrhhc wrote

Other PLBs and satellite communicators are also hundreds of dollars themselves plus the subscription. A Garmin inreach is $400 plus a $12 per month plan. Apple will have to be comparable. I doubt apple will charge multiple hundreds, but if they charge $99 it’s a no brainer considering how often I am in backcountry locations doing activities that could result in serious injury.

International_Rip186 t1_ixm3emq wrote

I just sold my inReach as I was paying $12/month. The five years of owning it could have resulted in a new iPhone. Buying this will get me halfway there and I don’t have to have another device.

elgavilan t1_ixm3yi3 wrote

And it’s still lacking some of the functionality that those standalone devices have, which is probably part of why it’s free for the next two years.

I would bet that Apple plans on adding more features to it before they start charging for it

dyslexicsuntied t1_ixm4fi7 wrote

Yeah exactly. I was thinking that but didn’t feel like making my reply so long. They will likely add the ability to send messages to people by choice rather than just for emergencies when they start charging for the service.