Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kindofageek t1_ixmdi9a wrote

Did you get the Mini or the new Mini 2? I love my Mini. Since it’s already getting paid for I keep it in the car with me at all times. If I pull over to do some fishing I have some extra backup if something goes wrong.

Onlycardleft t1_ixn2m87 wrote

Have the new “mini2”. It has better battery life. I didn’t want to spend the money, but I think it was a group decision.

kindofageek t1_ixnn7mx wrote

I’ve been wanting to sell my Garmin Fenix 5 watch and upgrade to the newer model. Might have to think about the same with the Mini if it has better battery. I do like that it can work with the new dedicated messaging app.

Onlycardleft t1_ixnt1wh wrote

Battery life is about 10 days with minimized settings and an unobstructed view of the sky. I wore it on my pack for a climb of Shuksan, and used about 10%. It also has better satellite connectivity than the Mini1. And it seems very durable in an outside environment. I did not feel like I had to baby it. Just set it and forget it. (I have shattered phone screens in my living room and broken a camera on my first use of it, before I even took it out of my backpack.) and it works with the Garmin messaging app. Text messages from your phone to the M2 are seamless. However the messaging software on the M2 itself is terrible. The software interface for the system settings is also aweful. But you can do a lot of it on your cell phone. You really need a cell phone to get 100% use of the Mini.

kindofageek t1_ixnx9l4 wrote

Yeah I use the three pre-set messages frequently, but anything more than that I use the Earthmate app for messaging.