Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aetherfawkes t1_iydn7h1 wrote

Good write up! I also came from android—Pixel 6 Pro to 14 Pro and agree with pretty much everything you said. Just a few small things:

1. The camera experience (app) is definitely better, but I personally prefer the pixel’s photos, and google’s astrophotography mode and zoom is much better.
  2. For customization, it’s a bandaid solution, but you can make “invisible” shortcuts by having their icon be the exact same as the wallpaper below them, thus forcing apps lower.
  3. I think carplay issues are more to do with the car than then phone.

Battery life is truly amazing, apple watch is much better than WearOS offerings, but keyboard and notifications are atrocious.

ImCraigFuckingCulver OP t1_iydqayy wrote

Good points about the cameras. I had the base S20, and while It had a great camera, it didn’t benefit from the pixel offerings or the zoom of something like a 22 ultra. So I guess take that into consideration with my comments about that.

I’ve just learned to live with my current homescreen set up. I tried a few options including third party stuff, but it was just a big enough improvement. Shortcuts is a good idea though.

I thought that about CarPlay too, but my wife has had the same issues in her car as well. Different models and manufacturers, so not sure how much of a culprit the actual car is.

Glad we agree about notifications haha. Truly horrendous.

Colination t1_iye6hdw wrote

I bought a new Toyota this year. My fiance switched from Android to iPhone about 6 months later and says she very much prefers Apple Carplay. Anecdotal, but it might indicate that it is specific to make and model.