Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ChuckF93 t1_iye2g8r wrote

I recently switched to iPhone from Android as well.

I honestly find iMessage to be a bit of a gimmick. Its stickers and reactions are very limited compared to those of FB Messenger, and I can actually use FB Messenger on ALL of my devices, not just Apple devices. So just like on my Android phone, the SMS app will be used maybe 5% of the time for general communication. 3rd party apps like Messenger, Discord and Telegram do more of what I want.

iOS 16 still needs some work and polish. I was led to believe that iPhones were smooth stutter-free devices. Not really the case with iOS 16, at least that’s been my experience with the 12 Pro even after the 16.1.1 update. Random stutters when opening apps, switching pages, etc. Nothing game-breaking or outright laggy but not exactly what I was led to believe. I'm sure it'll get resolved in due time. I tried switching back to iOS 15, but I missed the useful lock screen widgets so I came back to 16 again.

The camera has been kinda hit or miss for me. I don't know if it's an iOS 16 thing, but the dynamic range has been really bad leading to some inexplicably poor photos in certain scenarios. Nighttime low-light photos have been really good, but often if there's weird lighting indoors or outdoor daytime shots, I find the lighting to be kinda blown out and the camera software doesn't know what to do. Not exactly the point-and-shoot experience I was hoping for in all scenarios.

CarPlay is fantastic for me, though. Over wireless it's so much better than Android Auto was for me and connects MUCH faster to my car's aftermarket stereo that I can't see myself going back to Android for this reason alone.

Apple Pay is awesome, too. Never had a moment when it didn't work for me and I've been using it OFTEN because it's so damn convenient.

FaceID is simply superb. I still prefer a fingerprint scanner for certain scenarios, but FaceID works very well for most scenarios I find myself in, including outdoors wearing sunglasses.

Haptic typing feedback is not good on the iPhone in my opinion. The tuning feels off to me and I feel as though I can't type as fast because the feedback doesn't feel fast enough. I love this feature on Android, but left it off on iOS. Hopefully they improve it later on, but I don't like this as a first attempt at haptic typing feedback.

The haptic feedback itself in every other part of the UI feels lovely, though. Very tight and crisp even compared to some of the better haptics I've felt on Android phones. It's clear they worked hard on making this feature feel very premium.

Battery life has probably been the worst aspect of the iPhone for me. The 12 series in particular Apple kinda dropped the ball. I'm glad I got this phone as a gift from my boss and didn't spend my own money on it, because this is kinda disappointing.