Submitted by Most-Special-3245 t3_zxs951 in iphone

So yesterday I bought the kopplen 30,000 MaH 22.5W fast charging power bank and I bought a power bank of off Amazon mind you it was random but after a day of using that it fried my iPhone 10 basically the screen started flickering green then shut off but the phone itself was still alive so what I’m trying to say is will this brand and this power bank in particular do the same thing or just break it?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chicken_Of_The_Void t1_j220s65 wrote

Buying an unknown brand off Amazon with that much power and MaH is not a good idea ngl. Better stick with very known brands

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j220y9h wrote

So is kopeb a known brand?

−13

Business-Parsnip-939 t1_j221gtd wrote

Never have heard of that brand

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j221pxy wrote

Is 30,000mah and 22.5 W too much

Chicken_Of_The_Void t1_j2225ua wrote

30,000 MaH is the capacity of the battery. So it don't really matter much, that voltage tho...... I'm a bit worried

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j229jth wrote

Mind you it can charge a Nintendo switch a bunch of Samsung phones too so maybe the voltage is good for all of that?

−2

RedditMarcus_ t1_j237bw2 wrote

that’s a sure fire way to break your switch. the switch is particularly sensitive to what voltage and amperage it receives, since (iirc) it requests a certain voltage but then draws a different voltage

skankhunt1738 t1_j23ey2p wrote

~1.1a at 20v (hopefully PD?) is a decent fast charging speed assuming it’s that much.

Even if it’s a lower voltage like 9v it’s still like 2.5a

I’d get worried if it says 5v output because that’s like 4.5v which is a decent amount of current if the iPhone doesn’t limit it.

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j241c00 wrote

Quick search says it caps out at the 20 watts for the iPhone 12

Amitriptyline7 t1_j253ngt wrote

Only if the power bank supports specific PD charging protocols

(and don’t lie about it, which is why most people here says the brand matters)

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j253vyd wrote

Don’t lie about what and what is a specific PD

Amitriptyline7 t1_j255qon wrote

Power Delivery Charging Protocols

Third party China brands can tell you they support it but they don’t

They could just print whatever they want on the labels without actual consequences

the_saturnos t1_j222q3n wrote

If you have to ask, the answer is usually no.

JacoBee93 t1_j240gdy wrote

Thats not true... Not everybody have knowledge in technical stuff

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j222aj1 wrote

There is a usb-c side and a usb side will that make a difference and are there any other brands that would be better?

Crucinine t1_j222k5y wrote

Anker is good. Xiaomi has been making great affordable power banks as well

GimmiCookies t1_j23dwti wrote

I like chinese stuff. There are some real gems. But a have a strict rule: I buy chargers and power banks from well known, genuine brands only.

Cheap quality or shortcuts in production may lead to fried devices or your house to burn down.

_Suspended_Account_ t1_j248u5j wrote

There's no power bank that will fry your phone. Phones are built to take in a specific amount. You could plug it into a car battery if you had the right cables, and it would be fine.

Generalrossa t1_j22apka wrote

Yes your phone will blow up and most likely burn down your home

−1

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j22bd59 wrote

How?

Generalrossa t1_j22bmgk wrote

Just kidding man. It’s perfectly fine. Your phone will cut out at whatever charging wattage is is compatible with. So a 40w brick will cap out at 25w if the phone supports only 25w.

As for the screen flickering, it is probably a coincidence and sounds like it’s on its way out.iPhone X is quite old by now hardware wise.

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j22c6ex wrote

Yea and it was a random power bank off of Amazon

Generalrossa t1_j22chuk wrote

I’ve used random power banks before (no brand names) the worst thing about them is that they break easily and are never the correct mah or charging speed they advertise to be.

Me and the misses used to carry around up to 5 everywhere we went and had even more at home. I’ve never had one break my phone in anyway before.

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j22pcbx wrote

It’s just someone was saying that the MaH was fine but the were worried about the watts is 22.5 too much

Generalrossa t1_j22pjgc wrote

Like I said, the phone will cap out at whatever watts it’s maxed at. Quick Google search said the X caps out at 18.5. It’s fine.

Most-Special-3245 OP t1_j22c83w wrote

But I think kopplen is pretty well known but some people say they have never heard of it

IDontKnowANam3 t1_j22ems4 wrote

Also the iPhone X models use hard Oleds which break way more easily, so it was probably just a coincidence.

godlike_torben1 t1_j22kn78 wrote

if you dont want your house to burn down then throw it away

−1