Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

deathclient t1_j1qcc1r wrote

I agree with your sentiment in general. I don't think Apple is individually rigging hardware for battery replacement costs and it's all a coincidence in OPs case. BUT it's the same trillion dollar company who got caught throttling people's phones for battery life in the past in a backhanded way to make people upgrade. So I see where OPs thoughts are coming from.

gigawort t1_j1qn5d0 wrote

Sheesh, this again. They did it to prevent the phones from randomly turning off.

Yeah, their marketing about it was terrible, but there were two bad options and they went with the least bad one.

deathclient t1_j1qpboq wrote

There was a third option. Make people aware so they could just replace their batteries instead of the entire phone. And they didn't. They were proven guilty in court and they agreed to a settlement. Please don't try to justify them. It's ok to admit fault. It makes them improve. Battery life on iphones have come a long long way since then and it's for the better

−3

gigawort t1_j1qtux9 wrote

First off, they haven’t been proven guilty of anything. The case is still winding through the courts and when it does eventually resolve, Apple will almost certainly admit to no wrongdoing which is how 99% of class action cases resolve.

Yes, they could have another option which is what they they give you option to not enable it. Like I said, their marketing/implementation of it was poor. Yet the end result today is still almost the same as it was at the beginning: nearly every aging phone battery is throttled except for the handful that think they know better and disable it.