Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dougle_07 t1_j1d6llx wrote

Reply to comment by FknBretto in What caused this? by TrashAtEverything_

80% is the threshold for Apple to recommend a battery. That’s when messages like this generally start appearing.

FknBretto t1_j1djn4i wrote

When Apple recommends a new battery and when performance decreases due to battery% aren’t the same at all. I’ve had devices in the 60%s before it started to impact performance.

Dougle_07 t1_j1dnqkl wrote

I didn’t say they were. I said what the official threshold was and when messages like this will generally start to appear. Under 80% is expected and generally means the battery is behaving/degrading as expected over time. Above 80% is unexpected behavior and means something is wrong.

Shadowfalx t1_j1dtm27 wrote

What does this message say?

I'm pretty sure it says that performance was affected. Thus, you are arguing with yourself. You are saying Apple gives these messages when the phones performance is affected by decreased battery capacity at 80%, yet that battery capacity isn't affected until less than 80%.

−6

Dougle_07 t1_j1dusrf wrote

Again no. I said that generally these messages start appearing at/below 80%. The alternative, seeing this message above 80% is indicative of an unexpected hardware failure. In OP’s case, that distinction would be important in how serious to take this message.

Shadowfalx t1_j1dvws7 wrote

You're wrong. These shouldn't occur at 80%. Apple recommends replacement at 80%, that doesn't mean the battery is unable to provide the necessary amperage at 80%.

You are doubling down because you don't want to be wrong, it's okay to be wrong.

−12

Dougle_07 t1_j1dxvim wrote

4 years working at apple as a Mac tech, thousands of appointments, I know what I’m talking about.

Your difficulty in understanding what I’ve been saying (that the battery percentage and message are related but not mutually exclusive) does not mean I’m wrong. Thank you though

Shadowfalx t1_j1e4kqn wrote

Yeah, sure, I'm Steve Jobs, so I know what I'm talking about.

You said the message and the battery degradation percentage are connected.

−5

Dougle_07 t1_j1e5nwy wrote

Literally never said that.

You’re bitter, it’s okay.

Dougle_07 t1_j1e9myw wrote

You deliberately ignored the immediate following comment. You know, the one before you chimed in.

“I didn’t say they were. I said what the official threshold was and when messages like this will generally start to appear. Under 80% is expected and generally means the battery is behaving/degrading as expected over time. Above 80% is unexpected behavior and means something is wrong.”

You really got me

[deleted] t1_j1ea2ag wrote

[removed]

Dougle_07 t1_j1ecdvr wrote

Bud. I hope someone gifts you hooked on phonics for the holidays. Maybe then you can avoid looking like a tool on the internet

Gloriathewitch t1_j1lkbl5 wrote

You realize batteries can fail in ways other than capacity, yeah?

The amount the battery holds (capacity) Is not the same as current.

One is how much it can hold, one is how much power it can supply per second until the capacity is depleted.

Anything from heat, cold, or chemical failure in the battery can cause this kind of issue, you can have over 100% batt health and the battery can still be a lemon if it drops cells or electrolytes cause expansion.