Submitted by getmodzbro t3_10l0m5p in iphone

Howdy!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I haven't found any threads that really apply to my situation. Basically, I'm graduating college in May and starting an engineering job which requires Apple products. During my first week, I'll be provided a new iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Sounds pretty sweet, right? Well, I haven't owned an Apple product since the iPhone 6S came out in 2015.

The reason I switched back then was how much accessibility and options come with Android phones. I was the guy who always jailbroken iPods and iPhones for people, and Android just spoke to me.

Anyway, I've obviously been out of the loop for a long time, and I'm just wondering what all major changes have been made to iOS, and if y'all have any tips for a "new" Apple user? Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SUPRVLLAN t1_j5upjzs wrote

No major changes, that isn’t Apple’s style. Everything has been refined and opened up a bit more.

Tips:

• Come in with an open mind. Don’t expect to do things like you would have on Android because it isn’t Android.
  • Don’t have a complete meltdown when you can’t do X. You most probably can in fact do X, there’s just a different way of doing it. iOS isn’t Android.
  • Widgets and notifications suck.

[deleted] t1_j5wug59 wrote

I have loved and only used android, was on the same boat as you, switched around iPhone 7 to android and never looked back… I just switched back for the first time because everyone at work uses an iPhone and my last phone was a pixel 6 pro, love googles features, but phone was way to buggy and just didn’t feel like it had an premium feel to it.

I just got the iPhone 14 pro… and I am in love. I don’t know what all these other people are saying about no new features or major changes. But iOS16 when it came out caught my eye. And now actually using it… it feels worth the price. Every little thing flows so well, going into settings, control center, so many features that just flow so well together. Battery life is outstanding, screen feel is so premium, colors are vibrant, speakers are mind blowing, I haven’t gotten a chance to play with the camera yet, and pixel googles have been king, but I hear iPhone 14 pro isn’t that far behind.

If you are getting multiple apple products, you are going to absolutely love how seamless they work together. I can’t afford watch or AirPods right now, but I’m dying get them because also hear great things.

I recommend watching iOS 16 tips and tricks on YouTube, or stuff like first things to do when you get an iPhone. It’ll help you a lot, and will help you catch up.

One thing and the only thing I miss and you’ll find annoying as an android user is the lack of going back gestures. In android you can swipe from the corner of the screen to go back on either side, but on iPhone it only works within certain apps, and it has to be from the left side. Annoying if you’re a righty and use your phone with your right hand often.

But other than that, I feel like once you get into this eco system, you’re not going back. And iOS 16 is amazing

getmodzbro OP t1_j5ww1eg wrote

Thank you so much for the thoughtful insight! I came to terms with reality a few months ago when my work said I had to join the Apple ecosystem, but I think I'm ready to dive in!

Since I'm getting the three products I mentioned free through work, I think I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro and Airpod Pros to fully immerse myself in the so-called ecosystem. Although Android will always have a special place in my heart, I'm really excited to get back to my Apple roots!

If you end up getting an Apple Watch, I heard the Ultra is amazing! Even though it's bulky (and expensive), it looks perfectly fine on my friend (who has skinny wrists), and he said he'll never go back to the standard watch.

[deleted] t1_j5wwdfz wrote

Yeah my brother and dad both have it, I’m always mesmerized

BolivianDancer t1_j5uvaob wrote

Mostly kid-friendly features like emojis were added. Not much of any substance.

AutoModerator t1_j5ttflo wrote

It looks like you might be posting about buying, upgrading, or trade-in, in which case you should comment in the pinned WSIB thread. This post has been filtered for review, and may be removed.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.