Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jahooodie t1_j9yosl5 wrote

Ignore folks giving you grief OP. They have some bad takes without knowing your situation, and it’s a reasonable request you have around minimizing risk.

I know people with medical conditions still having a tough time. It’s the high respiratory illness rate overall going on this winter among other things. It’s a bit sad, but asking about COVID seems to trigger people; if you asked the same question but said your partner was going through Chemo and wanted to minimize risks I wonder if people would be so ‘lol get over it’. Not everyone is a fit, healthy 20-30 something with low risks

Alert-Ad4070 OP t1_ja07c62 wrote

It’s weird, if I said “hey I’m trying not to get gonorrhea so I wear condoms” I don’t think anyone would respond “oh but they have a cure for that! But condoms are so inconvenient. But you are reasonably healthy!” Even if some of that were true. But trying to not get something that is 1. Way easier spread that gonorrhea 2. Has more potential side effects than gonorrhea somehow harshest the vibe.

If anyone wants me to stay inside so they don’t have to be reminded of COVID, I’d happily accept thousands of dollars to create my own gym!

caroline_elly t1_ja15m5n wrote

HEPA filters are not nearly as effective as condoms lol.

Condoms are close to 100% effective if used correctly but even the best HEPA is not gonna do shit if some sick guy coughs near you.

What you're doing is equivalent to doing oral sex instead of penetrative sex thinking that it will save you from STDs. Sure your risks are lower, but it's still significant.

kiw14 t1_ja03i15 wrote

You can’t live in society without posing a risk to others. We all spread germs and bacteria which cause illness, and in some cases, death. Data has shown being both masked and vaccinated doesn’t stop transmission either, let alone some HEPA filters within a massive gym. Lock yourself away and never interact with humans again if you’re that concerned.

OP knows the only true answer is to workout at home, within the context that their partner has a health issue. We can’t all wear hazmat suits forever to keep the frailest members of society perfectly preserved.

So no, actually, it’s not exactly a reasonable request, because the answer is self-evident. If you’re afraid of the world, workout at home. Unfortunately life isn’t fair.

Jahooodie t1_ja0q810 wrote

They’re not afraid of the world, they’re trying for risk mitigation. It’s okay dudes

Alert-Ad4070 OP t1_ja08eog wrote

It seems kinda wild to posit that trying to reduce risk is bad based on amorphous unknown “data”, good luck out there though

kiw14 t1_ja09xsj wrote

You can reduce the most risk by working out from home. You know this. You’re ignoring it

−3

Jahooodie t1_ja0qnnp wrote

While true, they’re trying risk mitigation not eliminating it completely.

This existed in a less public way pre COVID, if that’s what you’re on about. Do you have no realtives that have gotten organ transplants, had chemo, ect? Risk mitigation is part of their lives around public germs

Alert-Ad4070 OP t1_ja0b2xq wrote

Can you buy me workout equipment so I can do work outs at home?

kiw14 t1_ja0bu9y wrote

No, but that sounds like a great way to keep safe from Covid-19

−3

Alert-Ad4070 OP t1_ja0moxj wrote

Well, since I don’t have access to that I’ll be searching for in gym workouts. Thank you though!

caroline_elly t1_ja16mic wrote

If you're immunocompromised, you're vulnerable to many diseases, not just Covid. Source: was immunocompromised for a long time due to medications.

Why does OP only care about Covid protocols? There are many other pathogens that spread via all sorts of means. It's much safer to workout outdoors or at home.

Kettle bells, resistance bands, etc. are cheap and effective for home workouts. Plus it actually keeps you safe instead of giving you the illusion you're safe. Covid spread through my kid's school despite the strictest rules (open windows in winter, full masking).

−1

Alert-Ad4070 OP t1_ja1d7wj wrote

Do you know that HEPA filters also help filter other respiratory viruses or are you just mad that I am a human who participates in society