Submitted by SassySucculent23 t3_1144s9q in jerseycity

Has anyone been to see this? Is it worth it as an adult? I'm an ancient Roman art historian who focuses on Pompeii, so I want to make sure that this isn't just a kiddy thing with like 20 items on display before I take the time to get there from the city and pay admission. I should add that I'm interested in seeing the artifacts rather than the immersive stuff.

Also, does anyone have pictures of the exhibition? That may help me decide if it's worth going or not.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Nimbuss1 t1_j8usmc2 wrote

Maybe pick one of the after dark events to check it out. Those are 21+ after hours events. The second Thursday is usually more education with “space talks” and the 3rd Thursday is more like a themed party. The exhibit is not hands on (more like a “traditional” museum), though my son loved the immersive video at the start. I checked my camera and I don’t have any good pictures to share unfortunately.

aworldsaway t1_j8utbtf wrote

I second this. If you can make it work, the After Dark events are the best. They are twice a month (the 2nd after dark event is themed, 1st one is more chill). It’s only adults in the building, cheaper admission overall (but Pompeii is an extra fee).

As for the exhibit itself, it’s got really cool pieces with things to read about it. Not too many interactive bits to the exhibit. Honestly, I’d give it maybe 30-90 min max to go through the exhibit. (90 min might be pushing it too). Let me know if you have any questions!

SassySucculent23 OP t1_j8xtz81 wrote

That's awesome, thanks! Definitely sounds like the after dark event is the way to go. I tend to read every museum label, so it might take me longer, but since we're only going there for that, it seems like I should have plenty of time.

a_bigsalad t1_j8v1qbw wrote

As someone with a kid who gets dragged by said kid to LSC often, definitely go to an After Dark event. Place is like a Petri dish during the day and there’s something in the air that seems to make kids go wild and parents fall asleep 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

SassySucculent23 OP t1_j8xu1g7 wrote

Yikes! Super glad for the warning.

a_bigsalad t1_j8xvn51 wrote

You’re welcome! Kid asked to go there this weekend…need to come up with an alternative for my sanity.

SassySucculent23 OP t1_j8xtuzd wrote

Thanks! I had no idea about those. It definitely sounds like the after dark events are a better option.

Nuplex t1_j8u9u4v wrote

I thought it was good, it's a medium size exhibition. It is not child oriented. The cost for it is reasonable. Unfortunately the cost combined with LSC admission itself is a bit much. If you've never been to LSC then go ahead and go, maybe see a planetarium show too if there's one that isn't too kiddy.

If you have been to LSC before then.... honestly hard call. If you really like Pompeii maybe? You can YOLO it if you want and just go. I was skeptical too but enjoyed it.

Didn't take pics.

NikiSmallz t1_j8uhco1 wrote

I went enjoyed it, but not sure it’s going to satisfy you with your background.

FuelQuick5251 t1_j8v3sjj wrote

If you are not taking children, then definitely take the advice and go to the evening shows. The kids that go there run wild like ive never seen. Fun fact I attended a rave there in the 90s and I'm surprised they let any partying go on there after that lol. 90s were 😊 fun

GreenTunicKirk t1_j8x6if7 wrote

Also recommending the LSC After Dark - first and third Thursdays, the place turns into dope club-like atmosphere. With the ticket, you can purchase a special entry to the Pompeii exhibit, which gets you upstairs to see the exhibit with a smaller crowd, and a cheese & wine spread to set the mood as if you were eating in Pompeii. Figs, whole grains, jams, cheeses, olives, grapes, etc...

I've seen the exhibit. It's pretty neat! As an adult there are some fascinating tidbits of knowledge that I learned inspire how we do things today.

Also, the night time views of the city from the observation deck is really cool!

SassySucculent23 OP t1_j8xu8p1 wrote

Thanks! I had food allergies and am super sensitive to cross contamination, so sadly the food and drink aren't an option, but it still sounds really nice to be away from kids and see the exhibit with a smaller crowd.

FloatingWeight t1_j8yi6id wrote

I feel like they have one more adult themed exhibit at a time from my experience volunteering there. By the looks of this one it should be interesting for you