Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Direct_Ad18 t1_j8xwxp8 wrote

Do you live in a walk up? The strategy works for a individual landlord or small entity because they are dealing with this kind of stuff themselves, but it's less successful for high-rise buildings with property management companies. Turnover is expected and they have funds and workers available to do this kind of stuff so it's less of a financial hit to them. They honestly don't even care and they know how much of a hassle moving will be for the tenant. Threatening to move doesn't phase them. They have more resources than you. With an individual landlord, it's a different story.

OP can try this, but it's not likely to work, or if it does it will get reduced by a laughable amount.

swebs33 t1_j8xxb7p wrote

I live in an amenity building owned by a large developer.

Embarrassed_Ferret50 OP t1_j8xxuuf wrote

Thank you for this! I definitely was planning to lead with the positives about how much we like living in the building, that we’re reliable tenants.

Direct_Ad18 t1_j8xxnrh wrote

Interesting, then your landlord is nicer than most others downtown!

aTribeCalledLemur t1_j96atmd wrote

I live in large amenity building in Harrison and just dealt with renewal. I was able to get them to come down some on the renewal offer. Not a ton, but I'm glad I did try.